How to create a fantasy-esque stone (NO PLUGINS)

EvGirl

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Hi everyone, I wanted to make an easy tutorial with no plugins so here it is! This is the look that we're trying to achieve (though your's might be in different colors and shapes):

myjewel.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Open up a canvas the size of 800x600 (the default size).

Go to edit/select all and then go to edit/erase selection, after that it should look like this:

1.jpg

Find ellipse select on the left and select an ellipse shape (recommended) or circle.

2.jpg

Fill that in with black:

3.jpg

Now this is the part when it gets interesting... select gradient on the left and select "diamond" on the top. the in the color box choose your colors (as shone below) and create a gradient that you like...

4.jpg

Make a duplicate layer and change the layer/Layer Properties/blending mode to "Multiply" and hit okay.

5.jpg

Then merge the layers together.

Now it's time to add glow. For this there is no "Perfect combination" so choose what looks best for you.

6.jpg

Then create a new, seperate layer and make sure your ellipse is selected (if not, select it with the magic wand).

In the color box, put black as primary (top) and white as secondary (bottom) and select gradient and do a linear gradient as so:

7.jpg

Using Layer Properties/Blending Mode, choose "Overlay" and then merge the layers.

Next deselect your stone and do a gaussian blur of about 5-10 (choose what looks best to you).

8.jpg

Finally, add a new layer, using the paint bucket make it black, and lower it below your stone and then merge them.

9.jpg

ET VOILA! you have a lovely stone from Narnia or wherever you want it to be from :D

my_paint_net_banner__d_by_evknives-d50gvy2.png

@EvGirl: Your images are too large. Please resize them so their maximum dimension is 800px or less. Thanks.

Okay I resized them in Photobucket... I'm not sure how long it takes for changes to take affect but they should take (I also redid the /IMG codes in the post).

my_paint_net_banner__d_by_evknives-d50gvy2.png

The changes should show up immediately. They don't, so something has not been set correctly.

Did you physically change the size, or just the view size?

Yes you need to resize them then upload them again to photobucket. There is a plugin that simplifies the uploading - I use it regularly.

Just to let you know they are (800 X 600) pix In my browser

I am not sure if you already resized them.

Same here. Just clear your browser cache if it doesn't change

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo