Help on printing edited photos

minners71

I know there is a thread all about DPI and what not but to be honest I have never truly understood it. I am working on some photos for my mum for mothers day in a couple of weeks and have 2 ideas the first is some photos she took up the Whanganui river I want to edit them all like so ( with different NZ iconic images in each one there will be four in total )

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

and then print them out and put them in a frame I will be using a shop service for this as I do not have a working printer.

and the other idea is the same thing but for her cats like so.

idea4.jpg

idea5.jpg

here is alittle mock image of how the NZ ones will look.

mumspicturesmall.jpg

What I need to know if I print these out at 10'' x 8'' or 6'' x 4'' what size should the originals be ?

The native photos are 2048x1536 but normally I have to resize these to 800x600 otherwise my comp goes very slow.

I do a fair bit of this and my rule of thumb is to make the image double the size of the print; which always appears to yield great results.

Seeing your images makes me wish I was back in NZ fly fishing. I go there once a year (South Island), set up camp in Woodstock and fish the Wangapeka and Motueka rivers.

Cheers,

V.

Edited by ventor1
naturesig.png

Thanks for the quick reply :) I though as long as they are bigger it should be OK its just that its a 1hr cycle into town and then another 1hr20mins back and Ive just been running, so want to get it right first time ;)

I print these out at 10'' x 8'' or 6'' x 4'' what size should the originals be ?

DPI time!

• 96 dpi is the resolution of your screen. This looks awful when printed at the same resolution.

• 150dpi is the barest minimum you should ever consider for printing.

• 200dpi is acceptable in most cases if you're not too fussy.

• 300dpi or better is reasonably decent quality.

Using these resolutions:

6"x4" @ 96dpi = 576 x 384 pixels.

6"x4" @ 150dpi = 900 x 600 pixels.

6"x4" @ 200dpi = 1200 x 800 pixels.

6"x4" @ 300dpi = 1800 x 1200 pixels.

10"x8" @ 96dpi = 960 x 768 pixels.

10"x8" @ 150dpi = 1500 x 1200 pixels.

10"x8" @ 200dpi = 2000 x 1600 pixels.

10"x8" @ 300dpi = 3000 x 2400 pixels.

These are gifts for someone you love right? Make them special! Use the largest size you can get away with. Your mum and our NZ countryside deserve no less.

When you are creating a new image, you can set the dpi, then adjust the image size by inches (towards the bottom of the image size window). The pixel dimensions will be automatically adjusted for you. No maths and crazy charts needed :D

For printing, I would recommend 300 or 600 dpi. Anything less is just slacking off :P

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Thanks for the DPI lessons ;)

I got them done at 300 DPI and they look great but had to get the pictures printed out at 6'' x 8'' so now need to find different frames :(

I like the one with the cat.

A key to "understanding DPI" is to know that "Print Size" is purely a function (in the mathematical sense) of Resolution and Pixel Size. It is only used when printing, or when displaying stuff in the status bar (image size, mouse position, selection size) when you choose View -> Inches or Centimeters. It doesn't affect the pixels at all, hence the recommendation to start with an image that is twice the width/height, and then double the Resolution (or three times width/height and triple the Resolution, etc.). Almost all other parts of Paint.NET do not look at this value ever.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Wait...you created all these?! Take the advice given above and print away. These are awesome. By the way, it took me about a year to figure out dpi--when I started working with clients and ran into some trouble...

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

Thanks again for your help guys, I am wondering a few people I know have said I should print more up, frame them and sell them is that OK as they were created with PDN ? I would be happy to donate a percentage of each one sold to the future development of this wonderful graphics program is paypal the only way to do this ?

Yes it is entirely your own work - so it is yours to do with as you please. PLEASE DO donate - I know it makes Rick happy :)

Make more and create your own calendar?

Yes it is entirely your own work - so it is yours to do with as you please. PLEASE DO donate - I know it makes Rick happy :)

Make more and create your own calendar?

Nice Idea I think I will, Paypal only way to donate ??????

Easier than popping by and handing him cash! Check out the Donate page on the PDN website. There is another option mentioned.