How to Install Plugins ×

Laplacian pyramid filter effect plugin

MichaelVinther

The Laplacian pyramid can be used to improve the overall illumination of photos, typically useful when part of the scene is in shadow. It can also smooth or enhance details in a photo without smoothing edges or introduce halos. Similar filters are used for tonemapping HDR pictures. Unfortunately the processing can take long time on big photos, so have patience...

The filter was inspired by the paper "Local Laplacian Filters: Edge-aware Image Processing with a Laplacian Pyramid" by Sylvain Paris, Samuel W. Hasinoff and Jan Kautz. (http://people.csail..../2011/siggraph/)

Example on detail enhancement (photo from Toul Sleng prison, Cambodia, © Michael Vinther 2012):

LapFilterDetailsBefore.jpg

LapFilterDetailsAfter.jpg

Parameters used for example:
LapFilterDetailsParams.png
Download:  https://www.fosshub.com/Image-Analyzer-old.html?dwl=LaplacianPyramidFilterPDN1.1.2.zip

NOTE:  If you have trouble with the above link, you can download it from here:  https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/ybrslwbxmtpf4mh446k4j/h?dl=0&rlkey=hma69px4yhpa31fawc88kyper

Unzip the file in the Paint.NET\Effects folder or Documents\paint.net App Files\Effects if PDN was installed from the Windows Store.

You can access the feature from the Effects | Photo menu.

If you like this, please consider donating to the author at http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/Analyzer/support.htm

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

Michael Vinther

By the way, if anyone has an idea for a better icon for the plugin you are welcome to send me a new picture - the current one was taken from myIncrease Local Contrast plugin.

Edited by MichaelVinther

Michael Vinther

when I slide the "Detail handling" all the way to the left (zero), PDN crashes on me when I click OK

Should be fixed now.

Paint.NET already requires .NET 3.5 SP1 so I'm not really sure why you called that out in your description

Ok, didn't know that. Actually I just copied the text from my Increase local Contrast plugin which was released before Paint.NET required that version.

Michael Vinther

This...looks incredible. <downloads> It seems to make photos look like drawings somehow...

I'll see what I can do about an icon...the one it has looks ok already, though

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

The person who posted this hasn't been online in over a year.  I doubt you'll receive an answer.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 9 months later...
could you shed some light on the implementation?

Basically it's all in the paper referenced in the first post.. The algorithm is fairly complex to explain so that would be the best reference.

Michael Vinther

• 4 weeks later...

I have just updated the download link with a new version that is much faster.

.. and another tone mapping example (photo from The Cisterns below Copenhagen, © Michael Vinther 2014):

Cisternerne.jpg

CisternerneTonemapped.jpg

Edited by MichaelVinther

Michael Vinther

This is very interesting plugin. Fairly clear variation. Thank you so much.  :pizza:  :mtdew:

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

• 3 weeks later...

This is quite an intriguing plugin. When combined with effects like the surface blur and soften portrait, it can produce a nice approximation of an air-brush illustration. This can be enhanced by copying the image to an upper layer and using the pencil sketch effect with multiply blending mode.

• 4 weeks later...

I have placed the previous version of the plugin which should be compatible with older versions of PDN here: LaplacianPyramidFilter1.0.0.1.zip

Note that it is somewhat slower than the latest version.

Edited by MichaelVinther

Michael Vinther

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Michael... Thanks a lot for the filter. Just wanted to give you a heads-up for this paper. They claim they achieved 50x speed improvement for Local Laplacian Filters  ;)

Thanks for the hint, I will get this paper. 

Just one more example (photo from Mostar, Bosnia-Herzegovina, © Michael Vinther 2015):

MostarBridgeBefore.jpgMostarBridgeAfter.jpg

Edited by MichaelVinther
  • Upvote 4

Michael Vinther

MichaelVinther! A very nice result. Thank you. Welcome to the forum.  :cake:  :mtdew:

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Michael... Thanks a lot for the filter. Just wanted to give you a heads-up for this paper. They claim they achieved 50x speed improvement for Local Laplacian Filters ;)

I tried to implement the optimizations they describe in this paper, but unfortunately it didn't give much compared to my existing implementation. For some parameter values (with Detail handling=1 (alpha in the paper)) it is faster (perhaps 2x) but for other values it actually takes longer to achieve the same quality. I've uploaded the plugin with a new version that uses the new algorithm when it makes sense.

Edited by MichaelVinther

Michael Vinther

This is a great plugin !

Before this, I used several layers with different blending modes ( and adjustments to it ) to create the desired effect I need. And 'soft light' mode from Blend Mode process is needed in the process. I think this plugin saves time.

ba2ec8c.png