Gallery of the Noob

pdnnoob

Thanks guys!

@Helen the fur on the monster was from a stock photo and the fuzz around the edges was made using smudge. I made a custom brush (it's just some small dots) that worked fairly well once you get the hang of it.

The key is to follow the fur from the stock photo with your strokes and don't brush in straight lines. Go over places multiple times to make the fur less uniform, but don't do it too much or it gets blurry.

Except for places that require special brush settings, you can pretty much follow the photoshop tutorial just the way it is written.

EDIT: new wallpaper

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Have a great Christmas, everyone!

<new wallpaper>

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Christmas is over, but the spirit still lingers. Let us keep the spirit of giving through the rest of the year, until next Christmas, to the end of our time; for it is more blessed to give than it is to receive.

<new photo>

The levels adjustment must be one of the most underestimated, underused tools in all of paint.net. It makes some of the most poorly lit photos look great.

Thanks Helen! My mom doesn't care much for the photos I take, but when she saw that one, I think it is safe to say she was impressed :)

<new pixel art>

• 4 weeks later...

more space art

EDIT: photobucket was resizing the pic down again, so I uploaded to deviantart.

Edited by pdnnoob

props to Goonfella for his photorealistic earth tutorial

Just learning from the best ;)

Side by side, it would be very hard to say whose was whose. You both do space so very well.

I must admit I was so taken with the asteroids that I thought the Earth was stock! Oooops!! Well done! (again)

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

• 2 months later...

<new miscellaneous entry>

I didn't put the chrome sphere in wallpapers because it isn't a standard monitor ratio...

I'm a bit wary of writing a tutorial (I've had a request or two so far) because as far as I know, it only works for spheres and all the settings are pretty much fixed due to the nature of the plugins involved. I'll give a mini tute here, though:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMPORTANT: Start with a square canvas

1. Make a normal sphere using gradients (Use inside out plugin to turn the white background into a circle. Duplicate layer and invert color. radial gradient transparency mode, right click and drag from top to bottom, then again slightly lower). Merge layers

2. Use Brightness/Contrast adjustment at 20 brightness and -20 contrast. Metallize set to type 1, increase brightness and decrease contrast (I used 50 brightness and -50 contrast). Duplicate layer, metallize starting angle 180 type 1, repeat brightness/contrast adjustment, set layer blend mode to overlay and opacity to 50

3. New layer fill with black. Run camera trouser flare plugin with X position at .50 and Y position .36

4. Duplicate layer, flip horizontal, and erase the blue circles. merge down

5. Run the "inside out" plugin. Duplicate layer and use brightness/contrast to make it black. Use radial gradient transparency mode right-click and drag top to bottom twice. Merge down.

6. Duplicate layer and set the top layer blend mode to reflect and the second layer to darken with 50 opacity. Flip the second layer vertically and you're done.

------------------------------------------------------

What each step should do (in case you're stuck):

1. Makes a sphere to work off of

2. Lighting variations (pretend reflections)

3. Create a highlight to be mapped to the sphere

4. Removes the blue spots created by the camera trouser flare plugin while keeping the highlight

5. Maps the highlight to the sphere and shades it

6. Makes the rainbow secondary highlight at the bottom of the sphere and blends them all together

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS I also added a list of tutorials I've written to the bottom of the gallery.

Edited by pdnnoob

Nicely written, but all I ended up with was a black circle with a red (ish) coloured ellipse on the top of it :/ will try again.

I'm not sure what's going on. I remember seeing such a result at one point while I was experimenting, but I don't remember what caused it.

I would check the blend mode and opacity of all your layers.

Here's a cheat sheet to help you out

Top layer: Reflect, 255

Second layer: Darken, 50

Third layer: Overlay, 50

Bottom layer: Normal, 255

• 4 weeks later...

<new miscellaneous image>

As the description says, the dragon is for a t-shirt design I made for my mom's students. The idea was to use a minimal number of colors...but I still ended up with twenty-two, ten of which were shades of green...

Thanks for the nice comments, guys!

We haven't decided where to get the shirts printed yet, so the students haven't seen it. Here's hoping they appreciate cuddly dragons! :D

Gee, if I ever saw a shirt like that, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Age shouldn't matter as art is ageless.

Well, I'm a firm believer that the older a person gets, the more he/she appreciates cuddly things :lol:  You're quite welcome to get one printed for yourself. I have a higher-quality version I can send you if you ask for it

@Welshie more nice comments! Thanks, welshie! I've been meaning to make a new avatar for a while, since the details in the previous were not visible after resizing and I realized, after making it, that I had used the primary pigment colors instead of light xD  (RGB is red green blue, 'noob, you dummy!)