Gallery of the Noob

pdnnoob

Sat down and did about 4 hours of pixel art. Result: 50x50 pixel spartan :D

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Aw, he is so cute!

What!? That angry killing machine is cute? xD

I never attempted pixel art (well, I did when I was younger), but all I have to say is that you have patience. Great piece!

I take it one piece at a time on one layer at a time, so my patience doesn't wear out as quickly as it normally does. My favorite thing about pixel art is that I can watch it all come together in the top right corner, and each pixel makes a difference (that helps the patience problem a lot too).

Also, I save a lot of time using layers and layer blend modes. All the shading and highlights are done on separate layers, so I don't have to waste a lot of time looking for the right shade of orange. As for the outline...I have a lot of practice drawing pixel art in black and white on a graphing calculator :D

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Ah, the graphic calculator. My brother taught me how to draw different designs using the cos and sin equations, which I forgot, but they were fun to draw. By the way, have you ever tried drawing using the Etch-A-Sketch?

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

Actually, I just used the "pixel on" and "pixel off" tools to draw things like this:

calculatorart.png

Not crazy enough about math to be drawing with functions yet :lol:

I tried using an etch-a-sketch once upon a time, but it requires a different sort of mindset to draw with one of those...and I broke the etch-a-sketch before I got anywhere. I like the limitations of pixel art, though. As a very unimaginative individual (don't try to argue with me about that one :P ), I don't tend to step outside the box very often and, because pixel art is both literally and metaphorically made of boxes, it works out quite well.

This forum is almost too nice :)

Again you've far more patience than me

...and welshie is too humble. *looks at realism artwork in your gallery* yup...definitely too humble.

Anyhow, I decided to organize my gallery before I put too many images in. I'll try to add more into some of those categories later...

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to see a pattern in my abstracts? I really need to come up with something new xD

*cough* ideas are welcome

I don't think it's a "pattern," I think it's more of a style to your work and what you enjoy creating. If you want some ideas, maybe you can do another spacescape. Or maybe a wallpaper with a different design.

sig-1.png

My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

• 2 weeks later...

As usual, you guys are so nice to me :)

<New wallpaper>

Just something that didn't get finished. It's amazing what a little time off can do to relieve "artist's block"!

Edited by pdnnoob

• 4 weeks later...

<new wallpaper>

made in Apophysis, cleaned up and modified in paint.net

• 1 month later...

I think I just broke my gallery D:

anyhow, new wallpaper

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/pdnnoob/Earth1600x1200.png

Edited by pdnnoob

I simplified http://www.vectorworldmap.com/vectormaps/vector-world-map-v2.2-blank.jpg'>this stock image with median and a few other techniques, then mapped it to a sphere using the Shape3D plugin (with lighting turned off because I prefer to make the shadows myself).

Then, I used a variation of http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/14014-3d-advanced-curved-text/'>this tutorial to make the continents and islands pop out.

That will get you the basic form of the 3D earth. If you need help or would like instructions on the rest, let me know! I might make a tutorial if there is enough demand for it.

I have the tutorial written out, now, but no images yet.

EDIT: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/25734-3d-extrusion-from-sphere/#entry383098'>done!

Edited by pdnnoob

A green earth for the tree-hugging extremists :D

Thanks to pyro, thumb tags work again! Fixed the gallery and added another pic...not sure what category it goes in yet...

I think that you're so talented that you don't even know about it! Such stunning images from you yet again! The furry monster is soooo cute. Any hints as how you created that amazing fur if you did anything different?

Edited by HELEN

sig-1.png

My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA