Burning Font

ventor1

Yes, there are many fire/flame fonts and for my mind none of them truly represent burning font.

The below is my take on realistic burning font. Mods feel free to lock this thread should you disagree that it belongs here.

Thought process:

The font needs to look hot and glowy.

Flames need to be in front and at rear of font.

The flames need to be on different levels, with different hues, sizes and opacities.

My chosen font (made famous by google): Catull Font

Plugins required:

AA's Assistant

Boltbaits Color Balance

Smudge

Tutorial:

1. Start with the standard PDN template and make the background black, then make layer invisible.

2. On a new layer put in your text - my fontsize is 170.

3. Select the magic wand, set flood mode to global with the tolerance set on 0 and select area outside of font.

4. Invert your selection and bevel your selection at a depth of 3.

5. Deselect and apply gaussian blur at a radius of 3.

6. Apply AA's Assistant with all three scroll bars set to far right side.

7. Duplicate layer and do steps 3 to 6 again on this new layer.

8. In layer properties set mode to negation, and merge layer down. You should have the below:

fontburn001.png

9. Make visible the black background.

10. Select color balance under adjustments and set red to 40 and yellow to 40. Yous should have the below:

fontburn002.png

11. Let us now duplicate the layer 4 times and label the font layers 1 through to 5 (bottom up).

12. Select Layer 1 and apply dents (under distort) at default setting.

13. Select layer 2 and apply dents again this time setting refraction to 80.

14. Apply motion blur at 90 degrees at a distance of 15.

15. Select layer 4 and apply dents at default setting.

16. Select color balance and set yellow to 20 and red to 20.

17. Apply motion blur at 90 degrees with distance set to 20.

18. Set Layer opacity to 85.

19. Select layer 5 and apply dents at default detting.

20. Apply motion blur at 90 degrees again, setting distance to 30.

21. Set the layer opacity to 110. You should now have the below

fontburn003.png

22. Merge down all layers (probably easier to save as a png)

23. Select the smudge tool - this part is very personal. I selected the odd point at the top of the burning letters and stretched it out. I ended up with the below:

fontburn004.png

Again, feel free to close this thread if you believe that this burning font is more or less like all the other burning and fire text tutorials.

Cheers,

V

Edited by ventor1
  • Upvote 1
naturesig.png

You're right, there are a lot of fire font tuts on here, but IMHO this is by far the best and most realistic fire text effect tut I've seen for Paint.Net. Awesome work and a +1 ventor1. I hope they don't delete/close it since it's much more different than the others I've seen on here. I'm going to go try this myself now. Thanks for sharing this ventor1. B)

ventor1, there are a couple of questions concerning some of the steps I'd like to ask if I may. In step 7 you say:

7. Duplicate layer and do steps 3 to 8 again on this new layer.

Isn't it rather "do steps 3 to 6 again on this new layer"?

In step 10 you say:

Select color balance under adjustments and set red to 40 and yellow to 40. Yous should have the below:

I set my red to 40 and my yellow to 40 as well, but I got a purple instead of the golden-like color you have in the image below step 10. It's not until I move the yellow down to minus 100 when it starts getting that golden color. Perhaps I missed something in the previous steps, I'm not certain. Can you please verify this for me before I continue with the rest of the tut? Again, this could just be me missing something, I just want to be sure. Thanks in advance.

ventor1, there are a couple of questions concerning some of the steps I'd like to ask if I may. In step 7 you say:

Isn't it rather "do steps 3 to 6 again on this new layer"?

In step 10 you say:

I set my red to 40 and my yellow to 40 as well, but I got a purple instead of the golden-like color you have in the image below step 10. It's not until I move the yellow down to minus 100 when it starts getting that golden color. Perhaps I missed something in the previous steps, I'm not certain. Can you please verify this for me before I continue with the rest of the tut? Again, this could just be me missing something, I just want to be sure. Thanks in advance.

In answer to your second question, I may have an older version of the plugin. I will need to check and confirm - I am quite certain that my numbers do not go that high!!!

In answer to your first question, Yes you are correct. I have edited the tutorial!

Cheers.

V

Edited by ventor1
naturesig.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

After doing steps 1-8 I don't get that image portrayed.  I select everything outside my text with flood selection and 0 set on magic wand, but not sure what invert selection is.  Tried setting the magic wand to invert, and I don't get those results, and tried inverting colors and still don't get those results. 

I know this is user error and the fact that I am not 100% sure what "invert selection" is, so can someone steer me in the right direction please?

Thanks in advance!

PhotoSig.png

After doing steps 1-8 I don't get that image portrayed.  I select everything outside my text with flood selection and 0 set on magic wand, but not sure what invert selection is.  Tried setting the magic wand to invert, and I don't get those results, and tried inverting colors and still don't get those results. 

I know this is user error and the fact that I am not 100% sure what "invert selection" is, so can someone steer me in the right direction please?

Thanks in advance!

Invert selection = Ctrl + I on your keyboard :)

swIFX9v.png

• 2 months later...

Like the lettering effect a great deal Kero! :star:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...