How to Install Plugins ×

Hawkynt's 2D-ImageFilter Library

Hawkynt

I finally packed my image filtering library into a Paint.NET Plugin which can be downloaded here:

2dImageFilter-r133.dll

https://hawkynt.github.io/2dimagefilter/

Find these filters in Effects > Tools > 2D Image Filter

This library contains all of the standard algorithms used in various emulators (like VirtualGB, Mame, DOSBox, SNES9x, ZSNES to name some of them).
I adapted them to be used not only on pixel graphics by giving them the ability to identify pixels that are alike and not exactly the same color. They will interpolate on matches to give slightly better results than their original. Even though some scaler's seem to result in the same image, they're all slightly different and the best fit heavily depends on the source material. All Algorithms have been rewritten from scratch by looking at the original code, understanding and then adapting so these should be clean (schoolar) version of the algo's.
Thanks to all the people that made up their minds and invented these scalers. Without them I couldn't have coded this.

To demonstrate some of the filtering techniques, I will use this image:
test1x2.png

Scale2x:
zw021u.png

AdvInterp2x:
2qvcdtu.png

Scale3x:
j81y84.png

AdvInterp3x:
2cpugqa.png

Bilinear+(Original):
db6u9.png

Bilinear+:
21o36s6.png

Eagle2x:
dzjel1.png

Eagle3x (I invented this one because it did not exists before):
2v2i4k2.png

Eagle3x(Variant B ):
4vfgoj.png

Super Eagle:
n0wi.png

Scale and Interpolate (alias SaI2x):
k2znv7.png

Super Scale and Interpolate (alias SuperSai):
ip4aw0.png

EPXB:
w1pgm0.png

EPXC:
np1hyd.png

EPX3:
29nif74.png

HQ2x(Normal, Bold and Smart, HQ4x, HQ2x3, HQ2x4, etc.):
501s06.png24pgf1c.png501s06.jpg

HQ3x(which is also available as normal, bold and smart version):
fx9gg3.png

LQ2x(also LQ3x, LQ4x, Normal, Smart, Bold, LQ2x3, LQ2x4, etc.):
bdto94.png

XBR4x( also XBR2x, XBR3x, with and without color interpolation):
jqOFo.png

Also included in this package: Scanline Effects, RGB Effects, TV Effects, RGB- and YUV- Channel extraction and many more.

I recommend using "Render to Clipboard" and paste the result into a new image because the plugin can not resize the canvas itself.

The development thread can be found here.

Edited by toe_head2001
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I like some of the channel extraction stuff.

The filters would be even more handy if you didn't have to do the whole clipboard thing, but it seems cool.

What I don't like is that you stuffed it all into 1 plugin and put it in a section under your name, rather than putting them in the correct sections.

Impressive plugin! You've put an enormous amount of effort into this. Well done! :star:

... What I don't like is that you stuffed it all into 1 plugin and put it in a section under your name, rather than putting them in the correct sections.

I don't see that these filters belong anywhere BUT in one plugin. You want an individual plugin for each??

RE: Location. Perhaps the plugin could have been placed under the Distort submenu, but I really don't have a problem with this placement because of its very specialized nature. There are many examples already out there...

I would suggests the Tools menu for its placement. This is a relatively specialized application effect or tool of sorts.

I only ask for another location besides a named sub-menu as I have space issues already with the length of the effects drop down menu.

Again, thanks for not only the effort but the links to all the side conversations and information on what is being done with this under the hood.

Gallery at PDN-Fans

I don't see that these filters belong anywhere BUT in one plugin. You want an individual plugin for each??

Ya I guess it does fit well in 1. I wasnt thinking 1 for each, but like 1 for scan lines, then all the 2x and 3x filters and then 1 for the color extracting filters, but playing with it more its not so much a big deal. And if my mouse wheel worked correctly it wouldn't be an issue at all for me. lol

• 2 months later...

@Hawkynt.

I went to your download link, but instead of 1 download, there are 2. Where should I put the "ImageResizer-r26.exe"? Is it even for PDN at all, or is it for something else, & if not for PDN, then for what?

Also, I sugges that you put all of your downloads into zip folders, in case somebody has to use an online connection that blocks download "dll" files.

Edited by wakanayumi

The executable is not for Paint.NET. It can be used without Paint.NET to resize images from the command line or by using the built-in GUI.

• 2 months later...

Wow! Incredible! A picture so small... became so big!

It's... wow! You'll be able to get some old 19s pictures in super high definition in like 30 seconds... you're a genious!

borderg.png

• 2 years later...

I don't know why Hawkynt hasn't been around, but it appears he's still working on this. There's a new build from sometime in the last two months on the project page. The download link for the .dll is on the far left of the page. https://code.google.com/p/2dimagefilter/

Just thought I'd let everyone know.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

I downloaded v1.1.29 and it has an interesting list of resizers. I was surprised it did not include nnedi3 or even Spline64 resizers. In my limited testing, I couldn't find a resizer in the list that would outperform nnedi3 in upsizing.

Plane_Sig2.gif

I downloaded v1.1.29 and it has an interesting list of resizers. I was surprised it did not include nnedi3 or even Spline64 resizers. In my limited testing, I couldn't find a resizer in the list that would outperform nnedi3 in upsizing.

Are you referring to the paint.net plugin, or the standalone .exe version? The plugin is at v1.1.3.3. As for the filters in the plugin, they're meant for up-scaling pixel art, not for up-scaling video into HD resolutions.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

Yes, I know. I tried both standalone and plugin versions on an image, not video. I did a 4x upsize on a jpg for comparison tests.         

Plane_Sig2.gif

2dImageFilter-r133.dll is not showing up for me under the previous Effects > Hawkynt submenu.  Where is it located?

Thanks.  First post updated accordingly.

• 3 months later...

Could someone please help me; am trying to test this plugin but every filter from it makes my image off-center, like this:

Original, before plugin:

rYcYsfN.png

Every filter of this plugin does this to it:

NlEF80w.png

Am I doing something wrong?

On 5/25/2015 at 6:47 AM, iamnoob said:

Am I doing something wrong?

The plugin is able to scale the image, but not the canvas. Before you run the plugin, you'll want to Resize the Canvas (:ImageCanvasSize:) (Ctrl + Shift + R) accordingly. For example, if it's a 2x scaler, resize the canvas by 200%. When resizing the canvas, you'll also need to anchor the image to the top-left of the canvas.

bp-sig.png

The plugin is able to scale the image, but not the canvas. Before you run the plugin, you'll want to Resize the Canvas ( :CanvasSize:)(Ctrl + Shift + R) accordingly. For example, if it's a 2x scaler, resize the canvas by 200%. When resizing the canvas, you'll also need to anchor the image to the top left of the canvas.

Ahhh, it's the anchoring I didn't consider. I did try resizing, but not anchoring. Now it works fine. Thanks!

P.S. - By "anchor", do you mean just use the move tool and place it in the corner? Because that's what I did.

• 1 year later...

It looks like @Hawkynt moved the project over to GitHub.

https://hawkynt.github.io/2dimagefilter/

The download link for the paint.net plugin is at the bottom of that page.

bp-sig.png