Jim100361 - My Stuff

jim100361

Idea is great but having everything out of focus means that the eye cannot "grab" onto anything. Try a reflected gradient for the glass highlight & Bring the wood texture into sharp focus. Welshblue has a fabulous tute on wood textures that would be perfect for this.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Excellent job on the adjustment of your latest piece, I like how you've brought the hat into focus and added a touch of sepia. A quick glance will tell you who that person is. The frame reminds me of old barn wood; great weathered texture and the mitre joints are top quality. :star:

I don't have any experience with the alpha displacement plugin so I can't help you there. What I see looking at the tiger etched on concrete is the tiger peering through etched jungle vegetation. As though the tiger is coming out of the jungle or using the jungle as concealment. Or is that too cliche.

The tiger piece didn't come out as I was attempting. I wanted it to be coming out of the concrete not etched into it - I was trying for a 3D effect, but wasn't able to obtain it. I've tried all sorts of ways to attempt it, but what you see is the best result I was able to obtain. Maybe someday when I've got a better grasp of wide mariads of plugins I might get something better, but until then....!

The Sherlock piece was an interesting concept in my mind. A simple silhouette didn't quite cut it in my mind, I wanted to deviate slightly from that, so I kept the hat intact. The picture itself was from the internet (of course) of Sir Basil Rathbone as Sherlock, and I simply colored everything in black to get the silhouette without touching the hat.

I've also got another piece of Superman - George Reeves which I haven't uploaded yet of the same concept - Superman silhouette w/the "S" emblem untouched and I was going to do one more of Errol Flynn Robin Hood again with the hat untouched - but I wasn't able to find an adequate picture for that one.

Thanx for your comments.

I made this piece for the guy who was asking for some logo help - concept piece, not necessarily complete (he never responded to my PM). Here it is:

QA.png

Edited by jim100361

Hey, JIm the magnifying glass is really cool. I love the glinty bits on it.

As for the tiger image, I remember seeing something like that in a tute, photoshop one I think. I tried something like that too & failed.

I do like the update version of the Sherlock Holmes. Very nicely done!

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

AA issues quite high - and the magnifying glass looks pretty strange without a bezel around the glass.

Nice idea tho' ...

Agreed. I threw it together kind of quickly. The guy was looking for some ideas, but he never responded to the PM I sent him, so I didn't bother doing anymore with it.

Thanx

• 2 weeks later...

Nice wrench Jim, don't know if you have seen the post I made in Welshblues thread but using the vid tut I linked to gives good results too.

Woah! Wow! What?! Was what I said when I saw your latest works on this page. I haven't even commented on either of them. I'm amazed at your art because they're all different and nicely done. Great job on the wrench. It looks very real.

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

I can see a good progress in your works, from the first on page 1 till the last on this page.. amazingly done the last one, although I still miss a little perspective... like it is as flat as paper, if you know what I mean... but maybe I am starting to get blind... lol *puts her glasses on*

I like the overall outcome. The spanner tute is well written & I like your take on it. One small thing: the bottom ring at the very bottom has like a cut in it. Nice choice of background too. I think you would like the wood tute Welshy has done too. Great to see you progressing so nicely.

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

One small thing: the bottom ring at the very bottom has like a cut in it. Nice choice of background too.

Thanx for pointing that out. My eyes don't seem to be helping me much. I know what caused it, but I thought at the time I had repositioned it as it should have been, but evidently I didn't. I was repositioning and resizing the right side, then without deselecting the layer, I switched to the left side layer and started to reposition it. Needless to say, the boundary from the right side went through the left side piece, so with only a portion of it being selected when I started to realign it, only a segment moved (stupid!).

I'm going to give 'er another try and see if I can't improve on this a tad bit - due in part from your comments in the tutorial section - I think the end pieces are too dark anyways and need to be lightened up to match closer to the span inbetween.

Minners: I saw you had posted the link in the tut section, but until this morning I hadn't had a chance to check it out. Thanx for that. I don't know if I'll use it immediately as I want to try to get this process down in my head first before I stray too far away from it. Generally, I'm not a big fan of video tutorials as you have to keep pausing and backing up, etc as you're trying to follow along switching between the vid and paint.net. Some of them are done really fast (I guess to compress the playtime down on them) and make it even more difficult to keep up with them. That having been said, I do use them from time to time though, and I will attempt that one later on. Again, thanx.

Aislin: I thought I gave it enough depth without going overboard. Once I created the piece, I added a light grey drop shadow w/o blur to first give the piece a 3D look. I saved that, then did a drop shadow again with black for the actual shadow with only a slight blur to it. Maybe the first (light grey) wasn't deep enough?

Jim, that has happened to all of us I am sure. I got some yukky results early on moving images selected with the magic wand. It leaves trace pixels...thank goodness for people that pointed me in the right direction.

I wish too that there was a way of slowing down the video tutes. I seem to lose track going from one screen to the next. The written tutes I tend to print out & tick of the steps.

You are doing really well. A pleasure to see you grow.

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Jim, nice outcome. I was thinking about something Welshy said...what if you did a bit of a radial or Zoom blur on each bullet hole to keep the fractures radiating out? I did a quick Gaussian blur & duplicated the layer & set it to multiply. Meh, not bad, makes the image a lot darker.

As for the neigbours - what are they using? An elephant gun? Looks like some serious ventilation you got now. :lol:

I like how you make us all think. Good on you!

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Here's another wrench to throw into the mix:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n264/CantaLibra/Wrench4.png

EDIT:

Excuse me while I toot my own horn....

I think this one is ROCKIN'!! (Compared to the previous one)

Like I said previously, my eyes seem to be my worst enemy - they don't seem to help much anymore. I thought I made the right side smaller than the left, but they look the same to me now. Maybe I need some new glasses.... boltbait.sad.png

Edited by jim100361

I can see that the right side is smaller. Sometimes we look & look but we cannot see because we have been looking for so long.

A mighty fine effort & a great choice of background too. Lovely metal texture too with a great glow. Good on you!

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

I can see that the right side is smaller. Sometimes we look & look but we cannot see because we have been looking for so long.

A mighty fine effort & a great choice of background too. Lovely metal texture too with a great glow. Good on you!

Thank you so much for your comments, I appreciate it.

As I had mentioned I would do on the earlier piece, I lightened the rings on each end to more closely match with the wrench and rotated them so the highlights of the rings were inline with the center span. I applied bezel to the whole piece (after having merged all the layers down) which gave it a 3D look, and then I used the smudge on the rings to blend them into the span so the wrench looked like a single forged piece. Then a drop shadow was added.

I think overall (at least to my stricken eyesight), it is a very realistic look and a nice improvement over the first piece.

Edited by jim100361