How to Install Plugins ×

Manual Color Correction

Gaeriel

This is a recreation of the "Manual Color Correction" tool in Paint Shop Pro. Basically it lets you change the colors by transforming one color into another.

I mainly use it for skin color correction on portraits: select the original color of the skin in the picture as primary color, take something along the lines of RGB 200,180,160 as secondary color, and this tool, with default settings, should give you a nice warm skin color.

There are a couple of settings:

"Foreground To Background", checked on by default, takes your primary and secondary colors to work with. If you uncheck this, you can manually choose the two colors in "From" and "To".

"Keep Hue","Keep Saturation" and "Keep Value" allow you to keep the original hue/saturation/value of the image. Essentially, if you put them all on 100, your image (almost) doesn't change.

"Fix Value Discontinuity" and "Fix Saturation Discontinuity" could be useful when choosing colors in the extreme end of the value or saturation spectrum. It "shifts" both colors more towards the "middle" of the spectrum, giving smoother results (although changing these settings will prevent the "From" color to fully transform into the "To" color). Play with these settings if you get weird results :)

This effect was made with CodeLab, and the source is included! (with Dutch comments.. sorry for that :))

It's probably not nearly as efficient as it could be, so feedback is very appreciated!

Hope you like it!

As requested by BoltBait, here are some screenshots!

First the "before" image, where people have purplish skin (it's a white balance thing, I never completely figured it out on my camera :))

before.jpg

Here's the color correction tool with the used settings:

screenshot.png

And here's the result:

after.jpg

ManualColorCorrection.zip

Edited by Gaeriel
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

The .cs file is not required, so you can delete it.

The *.dll file goes in the /Effects/ folder.  Restart Paint.NET and you'll find the effect in the Adjustments menu.

• 1 year later...

Hi There:"

I don't know why but my SuperAntiSpyware brought this .dll to my attention as a "critical threat." This is the first time I've seen this and I was running Paint. NET to do a quick project when the security was running a quick scan and came up with it. Any ideas? never had problems like this with anything from Paint.NET or any of you guys plug ins before...WOW! Thanks for any input. 

post-89304-0-29186900-1396928896_thumb.j

The plugin was released 3+ years ago.  If it was dangerous someone would have noticed by now.  There have been 2208 downloads!

I think you can assume that this is a false-positive by your spyware software.

No apology necessary :) You are right to be cautious.