How to Install Plugins ×

OptiPNG file type plugin (June 12, 2012)

Mr X

MODERATORS NOTE:  this plugin has been superseded by a newer version:

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/114190-optipng-filetype-2019-05-07/

Hi everybody!

This isn't really a new plugin, just modified version from old OptiPNG file type plugin.

Switching old OptiPNG plugin is recommended because it uses outdated version of OptiPNG which contains security vulnerabilities.

Functionality is same and source based on I Like Pi's code, so most of the credit doesn't belong to me. :D

Downloads:

Installation:

• Both the OptiPngFileType.dll and optipng.exe need to be in the FileTypes directory.

Changelog:

• October 7, 2011 - updated OptiPNG to 0.65, little reformatting to code and few changes to UI
  • June 12, 2012 - updated OptiPNG to 0.7.1, and tiny changes to code

I don't really care how do you use modifications I made, but because original plugin is licensed under GPLv3 this plugin is also licensed under GNU General Public License (GPL) v3

OptiPNG plugin.ZIP

Edited by toe_head2001
  • Upvote 1

Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.
I'm no expert in licenses (just ask pyro xD ), but that looks to me like you aren't supposed to be changing his plugin...

IMHO, though, the change is great and I definitely welcome it :D Thanks!

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.

I'm no expert in licenses (just ask pyro xD ), but that looks to me like you aren't supposed to be changing his plugin...

IMHO, though, the change is great and I definitely welcome it :D Thanks!

That quote just means you are not allowed to change the license text, you are free to change the code as long as you also release the source code with your modifications. ;)

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Normally when I make something with open source I release it to public domain if I can.

Originally I made this for private use but sharing is caring.

If you don't like it remove it and don't use it.

I don't lose anything. :D

That quote just means you are not allowed to change the license text, you are free to change the code as long as you also release the source code with your modifications. ;)

Hooray for typing comments late at night xD my reading skills when tired on a scale of 1-10 is -1 lol.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

• 6 months later...

I found this thread from the original one:

Any chance you'd be willing to update OptiPNG to the newest version? :) (v0.7.1)

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Just tried the plugin with 4.0 beta. Crashes the program immediately. I hope someone can update this to work with 4.0 when it's released.

• 9 months later...

Hi everybody!

This isn't really a new plugin, just modified version from old OptiPNG file type plugin.

Switching old OptiPNG plugin is recommended because it uses outdated version of OptiPNG which contains security vulnerabilities.

Functionality is same and source based on I Like Pi's code, so most of the credit doesn't belong to me. :D

Downloads:

Installation:

• Both the OptiPngFileType.dll and optipng.exe need to be in the FileTypes directory.
Changelog:

• October 7, 2011 - updated OptiPNG to 0.65, little reformatting to code and few changes to UI
  • June 12, 2012 - updated OptiPNG to 0.7.1, and tiny changes to code
I don't really care how do you use modifications I made, but because original plugin is licensed under GPLv3 this plugin is also licensed under GNU General Public License (GPL) v3

hello from Australia....i downloaded the file - DLL yes ....but is the 'application' the exe?  excuse my ignorance - but usually they have exe after them & yes i did put them in 'file types'.  all help gratefully accepted.  

Yes. exe = application. Both should be visible in your filetypes folder.

Both the OptiPngFileType.dll and optipng.exe need to be in the FileTypes directory.

Yes. exe = application. Both should be visible in your filetypes for 

thank you so much for your reply - no idea why it isn't showing up - but will find it somehow.  love all the work you very talented people do.  :GlowEffect: waiting for the light bulb moment 

• 4 months later...

This is a version of the OptiPNG filetype using OptiPNG 0.7.5.

Since the source code link in the first post is down I have recompiled it from the source code in the original thread.

Changes:

• Updated  the exe to OptiPNG 0.7.5.
  • Changed the save code to write to the output stream using a buffer instead of one byte at a time.

OptiPngFileType.zip

OptiPNG_src.zip

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• 1 year later...

http://optipng.sourceforge.net/

You are strongly encouraged to upgrade to the latest version 0.7.6.

Here is a list security-sensitive issues that affect the previous versions:

• Henri Salo and Hans Jerry Illikainen reported two vulnerabilities in the compressed BMP decoder, discovered by using the American Fuzzy Lop. All versions prior to 0.7.6 that support compressed BMP files (i.e. from version 0.6 to version 0.7.5) are affected.

• Gynvael Coldwind and Mateusz Jurczyk reported a use-after-free vulnerability in the palette reduction code, affecting the versions 0.70.7.1 and 0.7.2, partially fixed in version 0.7.3, and fully fixed in version 0.7.4.

• 9 months later...

On the OptiPNG save point, it was at the finishing point. Unfortunately, OptiPNG was not really saving the PNG file.

I used Paint.NET (v4.0.13).

0asdfs0ef.png

• 7 months later...
22 minutes ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Store or Classic?

It works on both, for me.

11 hours ago, welshblue said:

I've tried it in File Types and Effects

Install it into the FileTypes folder.  no space between File & Types

• Like 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

2 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

It works on both, for me.

The reason I asked was that the installation directory is different for the Store version. That may be a reason it is not showing up.

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Tcheluskin said:

How to make OptiPNG plugin NOT to change file resolution during save?

I see no option to preserve the image resolution in the OptiPNG manual.

This plugin can only expose functionality that's available upstream in OptiPNG.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

2 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

I see no option to preserve the image resolution in the OptiPNG manual.

Thanks for the link to OptiPMG manual.

Probably the right option is −preserve (Preserve file attributes (time stamps, file access rights, etc.) where applicable.)

However I did not found this option in Paint.NET OptiPNG file save dialog; and I don't know how to activate it another way.

1 hour ago, Tcheluskin said:

Probably the right option is −preserve (Preserve file attributes (time stamps, file access rights, etc.) where applicable.) 

Sorry, no. That option has no effect on Resolution.

bp-sig.png

10 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Sorry, no. That option has no effect on Resolution.

Hmm… Tried to run optipng.exe manually in Command prompt window.

When converting PNG->PNG, the program always keeps the original resolution, no matter -preserve option present or not, and rewriting the same or writing to the new file.

When converting BMP->PNG, the program never keeps the original resolution, no matter -preserve option present etc. And with TIF-file it returns an error: "Unsupported compression in TIFF file".

However, when converting any file, even PNG, with the Paint.NET's OptiPNG plugin, in never keeps the resolution.

The only workaround I see now for myself, is to save the file from Paint.NET with its standard PNG-converter, and then compress it by calling optipng.exe manually (e.g. by Windows context menu command).

Edited by Tcheluskin