Making Ice Cubes!

Celestrial

So i have come up with a way to make ice cubes. Or something that looks like it.

Plugins Needed:

Shape3D

Bevel Selection (Not sure if it comes wit paint.net)

Smudge Tool

You Can Find These Plugins Around The Forums

Here is my first attempt at my own concept.

icecubes.jpg

I've noticed i have too many bubbles scattered around and they are too dark, so i fixed those problems in my second, better attempt (the result of this tutorial below)

So, first order of action, make new canvas + fill it with desired color (preferably something light, like blue) and add a new layer:

ice1.png

On that new layer, fill it with black and reduce the transparency to about 50ish. This is so you can see the cube when working with the ACTUAL cube. Oh, and name the layer Shape

ice2.png

Use Shape3D to render the Shape layer into a cube and rotate it how you want. Re-size it a bit so it looks like a cube, and duplicate it.

ice3t.png

Name Your new layer Cube and reduce the transparency to 5-10. We kept the the shape layer to let us see the cube, as it's nearly invisible.

ice4g.png

Make new layer, name it Outline, and using the line tool (size 2) with white color, outline the entire cube, not just the outside:

ice5.png

Gaussian Blur the outline with a radius of 5.

ice6.png

Now make new layer and render clouds on it with a scale of 115.

ice7.png

Using the lasso tool, select a random white cloud and cut it.

ice8.png

Delete the cloud layer and paste the part you just cut in a new one:

ice9.png

Then use Gaussian blur with radius of 10 on it.

ice10.png

Use the Smudge tool on it to get desired shape and move it under your Outline layer:

ice11.png

Now go back to your Shape layer and use magic wand to select the cube.

ice12.png

Now make a new layer under your Outline layer and render random shape fill with these settings:

ice13.png

Now using the magic wand tool, select the outside of the circles and invert (Ctrl + I).

ice14.png

Use the Bevel Selection tool to make it look like bubbles. Then deselect.

ice15.png

Use Gaussian blur with a radius of 3 on it.

ice16.png

From this point on delete the Shape layer. Make a new layer below the Cube layer and merge the Cube layer down, then merge everything else down.

ice17.png

Copy pasta to your hearts content. You can use the Layer/Flip/Rotate tool to modify the cube so you don't have to redo everything again:

ice18.png

Eh.... It still looks like the first one :(

Maybe you guys can do it better than me?

• Like 1

8el4.png

Don't go gentle in to that good night, rage on against the dying light.

• 1 month later...

I remember there is an older tutorial on how make ice the results were more realistic.

Never mind it was never a tutorial, but some images made in PDN. You might ask ash how he made them.

Edited by Keith Cancel

animationv.png