Question about a specific gradient type...

Greetings, how do you do? I've joined the site today to ask about a specific type of gradient, wondering if it's either possible with the default tools, or if any plugins exist for it. Problem is, just searching for "gradient" really isn't getting anywhere fast. While there are some pretty good tools, none of them deal with what I actually need.

Specifically, what I'm trying to do is have a gradient that works on the four corners of a square or rectangle. For example:

,-----.

||

||

||

||

||

`-----'

Only not just fancy colored ascii art, but instead a more smooth gradient type thing, with the four corner colors being the 'source colors' so to speak, similar to how the two base palette colors serve as the base for the standard gradient tool.

Of course, what I'm looking for is... kinda crazy specific, and I don't know if anyone's come up with that or if there's an actual technique to pull this kind of thing off without going pixel by pixel. If it is currently doable in a way that isn't excruciatingly tedious, is there a tutorial on how that I can look up? Or if there's a tool someone made that can do this, what would it be called? Because just simply searching for "gradient" ain't working, and I've no clue if this type of gradient actually has a name or what it's called if it does.

From the description, those are more radial gradients, where the gradient is from center to the boundaries, while what I'm looking for is from corner to corner. Definitely not a common gradient type, but one I've personally always been pretty fond of. Problem is, the only way I know of to do it is one-pixel-lines at a time. A crazy tedious process. I'm wondering if there's an easier way or even a custom tool that allows specifically to have a different color on each of the corners of the selection with a nice even gradient - in this case, since it's across the canvas, it'd be a rectangle.

Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong and find out that the tool you suggested is actually able to pull that off...

Also worried about how compatible with the current version of PDN they are, given that those posts are three years old...

Edited by RoleOfGSHC

Oh man, this takes me back - back to before Paint.NET even had a gradient tool.

What you could try for a quadrant gradient as you describe is:

1. Create a new canvas at 2px by 2px
  2. Use the Pencil tool to mark a single pixel of your desired colors in each quadrant - for this example: white top-left, blue top-right, red bottom-left, and green bottom-right
  3. Open the Image > Resize dialog and
    • Set the Resampling to "Bicubic"
    • Scale your image up to your desired final dimensions

The Bicubic resampling method will blend the colors together in a gradated fashion. If I'm understanding you correctly, this should produce an effect similar to what you're looking for.

quadgradient.png

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Wait... It's that easy? Are you serious?! Aww, thanks! You just made my day! That's perfect, almost exactly what I was looking for!

Out of further curiosity, though, has anyone thought of making some kind of polygonal-gradient tool, where each corner is a different color? Could be kinda fun to play around with as a miscellaneous tool.

Sadly, my programming skills are that of a person who took Computer Science in High School and hasn't used that knowledge in 6 years, so... yeah, they're back to "None"... So I don't think I'd be able to make a tool like that. I'd love to, but...

Edited by RoleOfGSHC

I... think I need the most recent version of the dll to do that. At least, assuming I read the thread correctly.

I think it 404'd... You wouldn't happen to have the stuff in the broken link, would you? The most recent link to the dll in the zips is 404'd, and after checking several of the links, they didn't edit the most updated version of it into their first post, so...

Edited by RoleOfGSHC