Getting rid of white background

Badfoo

I've been looking around but I can't find anything that teaches me how to do this:

How do i turn this: aaaaac8.png

to this: dpmfa204.png

Using the magic wand, select the white area surrounding the image. You should get "marching ants" and the white area should turn slightly blue showing that it is selected. If the whole image is selected then you may need to turn down the tolerance.

Press the delete key.

Now you should see a checkerboard surrounding your image instead of a white background. The checkerboard is where your image will be transparent against other backgrounds.

I don't understand. I'm not able to just select the background. When i try i delete the picture as well. And when i delete something, I don't get a checkered background, I get a white background. That stays with the picture.

Yes, this is not a Paint forum, this is a Paint.NET forum... Google "MS Paint Forum" or something for support on how to do that on MS paint, although, i just belive its deletaing the white with the eraser... :/