png without flattening?

Is it possible to change my PDN settings, so that I can save as a .png without flattening my work? I'm working on a project for a site, and am having issues. I'm hoping if this part is possible, it might solve my problem.

I'm a fairly new user, and I'm working with v3.5.8, and Windows Vista. Thanks very much. ^_^

If you just want to share the picture with the layers available to the receivers (and don't care if the image shown is not the final product and don't mind if it shows up as an animation), you can save as a .apng using Simon Brown's animated image filetype and rename it as a .png. Then, just leave instructions for the receivers to rename to .apng and open with paint.net (they must also have the file type).

...or you could just use a file sharing site and upload the .pdn file

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Assuming you don't actually want to publish the layers, just save as PNG and undo. If you do want to publish the layers, see if the site supports PSD, which Paint.NET has a plugin for. Or upload it to another site such as MediaFire (doesn't require registration) or box.net (better) and link to it.

KaHuc.png

not many file types do support layers, and every one i can think of is "program specific"...meaning they are meant to run on one program. an example is PDN's .pdn is intended to use only with PDN..

so, my question is, what are you intending to upload this photo into? and will another file type do?

as simon said, theres psd

Edited by mountnman

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

• 1 year later...

I was just looking up this same topic because I have always used Fireworks since 2003 or 2004 (back when it was macromedia, now it is adobe) to create PNGs from my previous jobs as a Web Application Designer and Later Programmer/Engineer but now, I still use CS5 Fireworks at home but at work, I mainly only do programming so all I use is Paint.net.

Anyway, I have always saved my PNGs with the Layers -- with the exception of a final version of the graphic to save loading time for my web graphics -- because it helps when you have to go back to it and finish working on or edit different elements of your graphics later on. So for the users here who say that PNGs do not support Layers, they simply did not know that they really do support layers (or at least they didn't at the time they posted in this forum, I assume some of them may have learned since then that their statements are incorrect @pyrochild).

So if anyone comes accross this page again, who knows whether PNGs can be saved with its layers in Paint.net, can you please post a reply in here, because this page was the first result that came up in google when I searched for it. I Googled: "paint.net how to save pngs without flattening" without the quotes.

Hi tontogringo - welcome to the forum.

...I have always saved my PNGs with the Layers

Only in Fireworks, which uses a modified form of PNG as it's native format. These files do not play nicely with other applications.

So for the users here who say that PNGs do not support Layers, they simply did not know that they really do support layers (or at least they didn't at the time they posted in this forum, I assume some of them may have learned since then that their statements are incorrect @pyrochild).

Wrong. The PNG format does not support layers. That Fireworks adds this feature for internal use does not make it so or usable elsewhere.

So if anyone comes accross this page again, who knows whether PNGs can be saved with its layers in Paint.net, can you please post a reply in here

They cannot.

Read this: http://en.wikipedia....etwork_Graphics (specifically the Software Support section).

Now. As this topic is old I'm closing it. If you wish to restart this discussion - please open a new thread.