null54

WebP Filetype (2017-02-03)

Seerose    1,900

<3Dear @null54!

Thank you so much for the new version.  :coffee: :cake:

*Sorry! I'll be back tomorrow to give you a reputation.

Edited by Seerose

null54    191
7 hours ago, skrowl said:

Since you were able to port google's webp encoder to Paint.NET, do you think it would be possible to port their new jpeg encoder as well?

That encoder appears to be a standalone executable, so it should be possible to export a temporary image from Paint.NET and read the processed JPEG image from disk.

My Optimized JPEG FileType already does this with jpegtran.

• Upvote 1

skrowl    0
On 3/17/2017 at 1:02 AM, null54 said:

That encoder appears to be a standalone executable, so it should be possible to export a temporary image from Paint.NET and read the processed JPEG image from disk.

My Optimized JPEG FileType already does this with jpegtran.

That's correct.  Bins are here: https://github.com/google/guetzli/releases and the only parameter is --quality Q, where Q is an integer 0 - 100, 100 being the best, similar to libjpeg.  I think the first step would be to save it to a RGB png (without alpha) temp file, run it through the exe, then delete the temp file.

Edited by skrowl

toe_head2001    792

Considering the amount of time it takes to encode images (we're talking minutes here), a Guetzli plugin seems like it would provide a very poor experience.

Not to mention the very high memory usage.

Sure, not all images/photos are high resolution and thus won't take so long, but still, anything more than a few seconds is pushing it.

My 2 cents.

skrowl    0
On 3/21/2017 at 3:29 PM, toe_head2001 said:

Considering the amount of time it takes to encode images (we're talking minutes here), a Guetzli plugin seems like it would provide a very poor experience.

Not to mention the very high memory usage.

Sure, not all images/photos are high resolution and thus won't take so long, but still, anything more than a few seconds is pushing it.

My 2 cents.

If this were always the case, no one would use .7z or .rar because they take longer.  Sometimes a better result is worth waiting for.  Besides, this is just the first version of the compressor tool, I'm sure performance will improve over time.

toe_head2001    792
Just now, skrowl said:

If this were always the case, no one would use .7z or .rar because they take longer.  Sometimes a better result is worth waiting for.

Yes, but waiting for Guetzli to encode an image would block your workflow in paint.net (meaning you can't be anything in paint.net while the image is saving).

It would be better to use it as an external utility at this point.

null54    191
3 hours ago, StephanB79 said:

Please include lossless compression mode in next version of Webp plugin.

Lossless compression mode is already included, it is used automatically when the quality slider is set to 100.

• Upvote 1

SchlauFuchs    0

Hello,

I have a webp file that I can not open with Paint.net using the latest plugin version. An error message with a code line is shown:

WebPFileType.WebPException: Invalid WebP Image.
   at WebPFileType.WebPFileType.OnLoad(Stream input)
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 496
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

The file is opened and shown properly in Chrome.

If you would be so nice to debug this for me, the image can be downloaded here: Living Economies Expo 2017 webp logo

Cheers,

SF

Ego Eram Reputo    1,688

I think that might be a JPG masquerading as a webp. It appears to have both extensions in the URL.

xlogo_text_1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.AQcGDKnwoK.webp

SchlauFuchs    0

You had a point there. Although it's not JPG. I checked with hex editor for its magic bytes and guess what, its PNG. That explains having an alpha channel 

(Facepalm)

Is there a way to mark a thread solved?

Ego Eram Reputo    1,688

This thread is devoted to the plugin, so its difficult to mark just this part of the conversation. How about this:

^^ SOLVED ^^

:D