How to Install Plugins ×

WebP Filetype (2023-11-26)

null54

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have this posts WebP add-on and unzipped it and am ready to move it to the file types dir. But confess, I am just a PC user and do not know where, and could not find out where with an internet search, where in the world is the 'file types" Dir.  Doing a search in explorer did not find it either.  I joined this forum in the hopes of getting an answer to this question. Non tech people want to have access to webp space savings and features as well.  Thank you for you understanding help to us rookies.

You will find the File Types folder in Program Files / Paint.net on your HDD.  Just drop all file type related files in that folder.

Welcome to the forum too.

Edited by mottoman

HFuQlot.png

You will find the File Types folder in Program Files / Paint.net on your HDD.  Just drop all file type related files in that folder.

Welcome to the forum too.

Thank, and double Thanks, They are now in the correct directory and working properly.  I am now off to see if i can edit my monogram avatar to make it sharper and make it with an invisible background or find another WebP good editor to do the job.  So far sites including this one are not allowing me to use WebP though.  

Edited by Pallen

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just found this plugin. Thanks for all the work. A problem. I test exported a file to share on Google+ which does accept WebP images. It refused to take an image saved from Paint.net with this plugin. It accepts WebP files saved by Irfanview just fine. Irfanview opened the WebP file exported by this plugin. Baffled really. 

Just found this plugin. Thanks for all the work. A problem. I test exported a file to share on Google+ which does accept WebP images. It refused to take an image saved from Paint.net with this plugin. It accepts WebP files saved by Irfanview just fine. Irfanview opened the WebP file exported by this plugin. Baffled really. 

Does your image have transparency or embedded metadata?

What makes it strange is this plugin uses the official WebP reference library (libwebp) for encoding and decoding.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Just a regular screenshot from a television show. Saved with default settings for photo. Here is a sample. Here is a version generated by Irfanview. First one appears as a preview while uploading on Google+ but is rejected eventually. Second one is accepted just fine. Strangeness. 

Just a regular screenshot from a television show. Saved with default settings for photo. Here is a sample. Here is a version generated by Irfanview. First one appears as a preview while uploading on Google+ but is rejected eventually. Second one is accepted just fine. Strangeness. 

The first file was saved with lossless encoding, the file saved by Irfanview uses lossy encoding.

When saving the image in Paint.NET set the quality slider to 95 and try to upload that, perhaps Google+ does not support lossless WebP files.

• Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Great work on the plugin, just what I was looking for!  Seems like webp is growing in popularity...

If you put your bitcoin address up I'll be happy to send a tip for the work.  (www.autofwd.com/bitcoin is a good place to grab a wallet if you haven't set one up before)

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Reduced memory usage when saving an image with metadata, file version updated to 1.0.3.0.

PdnSig.png

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome plugin! :D

A few things I noticed (or didn't understand or misunderstood):

- Preset

Using 'Default', 'Picture', 'Photo' or 'Drawing' gives different results in filesize than using 'Icon' or 'Text'.

(while using the same settings with the other sliders and a 'Quality' < 100 so it's not lossless compressed)

- Encoding Speed / Quality

Setting this to 0 generates the image quicker, makes the image have an higher quality and makes the image have a bigger filesize.

Setting this to 6 generates the image slower, makes the image have a lower quality and makes the image have a lower filesize.

I don't know if my opinions on quality are wrong but it just seems to me like that and it seems counter-intuitive...

- Spatial Noise Shaping

What exactly is this?

Lower value seems to look better at the cost of a bigger filesize.

- Filter Strength

Does nothing?

- Sharpness

Does nothing?

- Filter Type

Does nothing?

- File size in bytes

Eh?...

- Keep MetaData

What does this do?

- Preset

This option controls the default parameters used by the WebP encoder.

- Encoding Speed / Quality

This option controls the tradeoff between compression speed and filesize, corresponds to the -m option in cwebp.

- Spatial Noise Shaping

Quoting the cwebp documentation:

Spatial noise shaping (or sns for short) refers to a general collection of built-in algorithms used to decide which area of the picture should use relatively less bits, and where else to better transfer these bits.

- Filter Strength

This option controls the strength of the smoothing filter applied to the image after the it is decoded, corresponds to the -f option in cwebp.

- Sharpness

This option controls the sharpness of the smoothing filter, corresponds to the -sharpness option in cwebp.

- Filter Type

This option controls the type of filtering, corresponds to the -strong and -nostrong options in cwebp.

- File size in bytes

The target file size of the image in bytes.

- Keep MetaData

Determines weather the ICC Profile, EXIF and XMP metadata is retained in the image.

• Upvote 2

PdnSig.png

• 1 month later...

Just installed this plugin.  I saw an earlier post that said files produced with it could not be uploaded to Google+.  I created a file with the plugin and tried it and it would not upload to Google+.  Is this still an issue?  Thanks!

7 hours ago, fclifton said:

Is this still an issue?

This plugin uses Google's official WebP reference library (libwebp) for encoding and decoding.

If Google+ does not support the files that libwebp saves it does not appear to be a bug in this plugin.

• Upvote 1

PdnSig.png