How to Install Plugins ×

WebP Filetype (2023-11-26)

null54

<3Dear @null54!

Thank you so much for the new version.  :coffee: :cake:

*Sorry! I'll be back tomorrow to give you a reputation.

Edited by Seerose

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, skrowl said:

Since you were able to port google's webp encoder to Paint.NET, do you think it would be possible to port their new jpeg encoder as well?

That encoder appears to be a standalone executable, so it should be possible to export a temporary image from Paint.NET and read the processed JPEG image from disk.

My Optimized JPEG FileType already does this with jpegtran.

• Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

On 3/17/2017 at 1:02 AM, null54 said:

That encoder appears to be a standalone executable, so it should be possible to export a temporary image from Paint.NET and read the processed JPEG image from disk.

My Optimized JPEG FileType already does this with jpegtran.

That's correct.  Bins are here: https://github.com/google/guetzli/releases and the only parameter is --quality Q, where Q is an integer 0 - 100, 100 being the best, similar to libjpeg.  I think the first step would be to save it to a RGB png (without alpha) temp file, run it through the exe, then delete the temp file.

Edited by skrowl

Considering the amount of time it takes to encode images (we're talking minutes here), a Guetzli plugin seems like it would provide a very poor experience.

Not to mention the very high memory usage.

Sure, not all images/photos are high resolution and thus won't take so long, but still, anything more than a few seconds is pushing it.

My 2 cents.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

On 3/21/2017 at 3:29 PM, toe_head2001 said:

Considering the amount of time it takes to encode images (we're talking minutes here), a Guetzli plugin seems like it would provide a very poor experience.

Not to mention the very high memory usage.

Sure, not all images/photos are high resolution and thus won't take so long, but still, anything more than a few seconds is pushing it.

My 2 cents.

If this were always the case, no one would use .7z or .rar because they take longer.  Sometimes a better result is worth waiting for.  Besides, this is just the first version of the compressor tool, I'm sure performance will improve over time.

Just now, skrowl said:

If this were always the case, no one would use .7z or .rar because they take longer.  Sometimes a better result is worth waiting for.

Yes, but waiting for Guetzli to encode an image would block your workflow in paint.net (meaning you can't be anything in paint.net while the image is saving).

It would be better to use it as an external utility at this point.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, StephanB79 said:

Please include lossless compression mode in next version of Webp plugin.

Lossless compression mode is already included, it is used automatically when the quality slider is set to 100.

• Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I have a webp file that I can not open with Paint.net using the latest plugin version. An error message with a code line is shown:

WebPFileType.WebPException: Invalid WebP Image.
   at WebPFileType.WebPFileType.OnLoad(Stream input)
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 496
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

The file is opened and shown properly in Chrome.

If you would be so nice to debug this for me, the image can be downloaded here: Living Economies Expo 2017 webp logo

Cheers,

SF

I think that might be a JPG masquerading as a webp. It appears to have both extensions in the URL.

xlogo_text_1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.AQcGDKnwoK.webp

Have you tried renaming it? Try a simple filename and the webp extension.

You had a point there. Although it's not JPG. I checked with hex editor for its magic bytes and guess what, its PNG. That explains having an alpha channel 

(Facepalm)

Is there a way to mark a thread solved?

This thread is devoted to the plugin, so its difficult to mark just this part of the conversation. How about this:

^^ SOLVED ^^

:D

Improved compatibility with Paint.NET's Dark theme, file version updated to 1.0.7.1.

• Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Thank you very much for this plugin!

However, I have a small display issue on my 4K monitor (and I've set a system scale to 175% in order to see something, because 100% on a 27" was way too small compared to WUXGA on a 24" monitor).

4k.webp

5 hours ago, Matthieu said:

However, I have a small display issue on my 4K monitor (and I've set a system scale to 175% in order to see something, because 100% on a 27" was way too small compared to WUXGA on a 24" monitor).

That issue should be fixed in 1.0.7.2.

• Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

22 hours ago, null54 said:

That issue should be fixed in 1.0.7.2.

Great job null54!

Here's what I see on my computer. It's totally usable right now, but you could improve it a little bit, IMHO. The sliders aren't totally expanded to the vertical separator, and you could add a small padding bottom on every label, because it's truncated by the sliders (or increase the size of the bounding box)

4k_next.webp

Updated to use WebP 1.0.0.
Added padding to the dialog labels.

File version updated to 1.0.8.0.

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

• 3 months later...

Hi,

thanks for this useful plugin. However, there is a problem that some webp files come with the wrong file extension, e.g. I have a file sample.png which is actually a webp file with a png extension. When I try to open such a file with paint.net having the webp plugin installed, it apparently tries to open it as a png file and fails. If I rename the file to sample.webp, I can open it.

Chrome, IrfanView Firefox and Windows Photo Viewer (with webp plugins installed) can handle the file with the wrong extension perfectly, they seem to look at the content rather than the extension. Could the same be achieved for paint.net as well? That would make this plugin just perfect!

Edited by skr68