Opacity Match

I was working on some promo art today, and I suddenly decided that I wanted it to be two-toned instead of just boring white. Unfortunately, that meant that I had to match up every opacity level that existed on the one side I wanted to change. There's got to be some kind of way to automate the process of matching the opacity of a pixel on one layer to the opacity of the pixel on the layer above or below it.

I have no talent with coding, so I submit this plea. If it already exists, please lead me to it. If it doesn't, could it be done, and will someone do it?

Workaround using alpha mask plugin: copy the layer you wish to recreate and paste it in a new image. Add a new layer underneath and fill with white. Adjust the brightness and contrast of the original until it is completely black (run twice: brightness -100 contrast -100, then brightness -100 contrast 100). Merge the layers. You now have an alpha mask you can use on the other image.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

That would destroy all of the anti-aliasing on the edges. The idea is to essentially be able to fill a layer either behind or in front of a layer with opacity levels anywhere between 1% and 99% and then be able to run a plugin that matches the opacities of the aforementioned layer. While your method may work for what I'm doing specifically (as I'm using a pure white background that I can invert), I've been thinking about asking for this for half a year now, and as I stated at the beginning of this post, your method would obliterate the anti-aliasing that I usually try to keep for smoothness's sake.

Duplicate your layer.

Apply the Silhouette Plus plugin effect to get a result that is

a single color of your choice, with matching opacities.

===============================================

Or apply the Silhouette Plus plugin effect, set to black.

Use the result as an alpha mask.

That would destroy all of the anti-aliasing on the edges. The idea is to essentially be able to fill a layer either behind or in front of a layer with opacity levels anywhere between 1% and 99% and then be able to run a plugin that matches the opacities of the aforementioned layer. While your method may work for what I'm doing specifically (as I'm using a pure white background that I can invert), I've been thinking about asking for this for half a year now, and as I stated at the beginning of this post, your method would obliterate the anti-aliasing that I usually try to keep for smoothness's sake.

As long as you do it in the order I gave, the anti-alias will remain untouched. You don't merge the white layer with the copy of the original until after you run brightness and contrast. I use this method all the time and never have any trouble with antialias. However, knowing Sarkut, he probably has the simplest solution, so I would recommend following his instructions

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo