Shading Shortcut

mitzumikare

[@admins: yes, i read the rules and yes i searched. no tutorial for this popped up. just questions]

Anyone who has seen my gallery knows i draw my own art then color it with PDN but on my Deviantart page, i get questions on how i choose shades of skin. To be honest, i just randomly pick but here is a more streamlined way i thought up when looking at this tablet/Photoshop tutorial on deviantart

For this tutorial, you will need one plugin. Shape3D

You can get that here------>>>Shape3D

Before doing anything you must install the plugin. how to do that is here.

1. open up a new canvas and fill the page with the base color of your choosing using the little bucket symbol on the tool window [aka Paint Bucket]. I use peach for a Caucasian skin tone.

skintutorial1.jpg

2. open Shape3D [which should be under Effects>Render>Shape3D]and keep everything the same except for these specifications:

Ambient lighting: 0.45

not much huh? but it does produce a nice effect as pictured below.

skintutorial2.jpg

Just click okay and you're done! Now why did I just make you make these balls of flesh? for shading!

Look at your ball. it has at least 4 tones of skin: shine, highlight, base, shadow. no more hunting for what shadow to use and hoping it's not too dark and such.

and it works for all types of skin from dark to light. as long as you have the base in mind, just use this method and have a ball [sorry, had to make that pun. ^^]

Also, this can be used for hair and other things that need shading. I just use it for skin but as i said above, one plugin, infinite uses.

skintutorial3.jpg

I recommend saving this file as a resource so you can go back and use it until you either A. make a skin palette of your own like i partially did in the above picture or B. naturally learn how to shade and highlight.

but how do you use this? just click that little water dropper tool [aka Color Picker] and click on the shade or hue you need. that's it.

skintutorial4.jpg

I hope this helps someone because it certainly helped me. :D

Signature.png

"Even the Gods wish to not be alone..."

[And yes, I did draw my Avatar. see it full-sized on my deviantart page.]

Okay, what if I want something simpler? I want to create a shape (a simple elipsis) and want to shade it with a gradient going from transparent to a color (or white to a color if transparency is not an option). So in the end I only get the fade into the shape and in effect only see the edge of the shape (sort of like the crescent of a moon). Any advice?

@barbie: *sweatdrop* i notice that. it seems like i am one of the few who uses paint.net for coloring. no wonder photoshop is more popular....

@OCFR: hmmmm....all that comes to mind for me is to just select the shape with the magic wand tool then use gradient. *shrug* that's how i color some of my stuff.....or do the long way and start a new layer on top of it [or under if it's line work] with the lightest color then ad new layers with it going progressively darker but make sure to leave a little of the previous layer visible. go through and bur all layers you just made then merge them into one layer. hope i helped. ^^;;;;

Signature.png

"Even the Gods wish to not be alone..."

[And yes, I did draw my Avatar. see it full-sized on my deviantart page.]

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This is rather helpful. With various adjustments etc the infinite part is right in adapting this plugin to create a source library.

Just now in trying to work with it I see that I can get a semi transparent palette plate to work with and adjust out of the highlight so get less white in the mix. Of course I can also see how I should/could adjust the light color but the highlight doesn't respond correctly. Which is the bane of 3D modeling ... colored/patterned light source and all that rot.

Well I wish the images were still in play so people wont skip this. This tut does offer great insight for using a tool in another manner. Thanks for that.

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Well I wish the images were still in play so people wont skip this. This tut does offer great insight for using a tool in another manner. Thanks for that.

Sadly with no images It is hard to follow. :( Would be a great tute to work on otherwise :)

ZXCBOoZ.png