Hardwood floor - alternate method

Nrohstrah

Long time reader, first time poster.

First off, in this tutorial, you will need the Sepia2 and Grayscale on Colored Paper adjustments as well as the Render: Gridlines, in addition to the Clouds and Noise plug-ins. Please forgive me, I don't remember which package I got these from; I've added a lot to my PDN.

In addition to this hardwood tutorial, there is another method that I've found after following pwn247's tutorial for creating a brushed metal effect.

To get to the point where I'm starting this tutorial, head over to the brushed metal tutorial linked above.

If the brushed metal tutorial worked for you, you should have an image similar to this one:

650226497.jpg

Now, you have to change the color. Using Sepia2, set the intensity to 1.00:

61365889.jpg

Add a new layer.

In the top layer, you will need to use the Gridlines plug-in under Render. Set the Horizontal Spacing to 0 and the Vertical Spacing to 25; the color should be black:

681894257.jpg

Once the lines are in place, do a Gaussian blur set to a radius of 1 or 2; this will blend the lines into the "hardwood":

622928989.jpg

The final product:

630058925.jpg

If you want a darker wood effect, do the following in place the Sepia2:

Starting with the brushed metal effect on the first pic above, choose the Grayscale on Colored Paper adjustment:

133773527.jpg

In the pop-up window, you can play around with the different settings to make the "wood" any color you'd like. I used R: 170, G: 121, B: 78.

85808863.jpg

Once you've found the color you want, add the second layer, and set your gridlines. The final product should look similar to this:

165862306.jpg

I like the effect that the other hardwood tutorial gave, but this one gives it a different, fluid look.

As I said in the beginning, long time reader, first time poster. I hope you all enjoyed this tutorial.

avi.png

• 1 year later...