color wheel suggestion

Now if only we can get Rick to come post his opinion. Don't worry, Rick, I won't be too disappointed if you say you don't like it. I'll only go cry in the corner and play Russian roulette with a single-shot Winchester... ;)

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

3 points to anyone who comes up with a control that incorporates HSB and alpha into a single control that is easy to learn and use.

My thoughts:

The triangle selector is really 2 selectors, one for hue and the other for saturation and brightness, put together in a way that looks nice. Define 1 control, please.

Thinking of color in geometric terms, each aspect is a dimension. With hue, saturation, and brightness together, we have 3 dimensions of color...add transparency to get 4. What?

If you added transparency to the outside ring (more transparent as you go out) you could probably get the desired effect. I just don't know how to make that in PDN. :/

Edited by pdnnoob

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

So what if it is a free program? Does its lack of a price tag mean that it should stop being improved?

Thank you for explaining it.

Also i kinda' agree the colors windows could use some tidying up.

Space...The Final Frontier. -James Tiberius Kirk; circa 2260s

YLOD VICTIM

Also i kinda' agree the colors windows could use some tidying up.

I agree that the Colors window needs improvement. However, it's not clear to me what will accomplish that. The "triangle design" put forth earlier in this thread does a poor job, in my opinion, because it increases the complexity (or it reduces the simplicity, take your pick). The outer color band which is around the triangle is a rather small area to aim for, among other things.

My biggest problem with the Colors window is the More/Less design. The thing just doesn't fit well on screens less than 1024 pixels tall, and it looks ugly in that situation.

However, the Colors window is, honestly, quite functional and usable in its current form, and it's easy to figure out. Even though it clearly has problems, it isn't clear to me what changes would really improve it.

I disagree with pyrochild, at least in general, that tabs would be evil. It would need to be very carefully designed, however.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I disagree with pyrochild, at least in general, that tabs would be evil.

Just ignore Pyrochild - he thinks socks are evil too! :lol:

@Rick If I were to widen the outer band, would you still be in favor of finding a different solution?

Thank you Rick. The colour wheel is ideal as it stands now, I doubt many people have a problem with it as it is, otherwise it would have been mentioned a long time ago.

Clearly, Rick has problems with it as well. He just can't seem to pin it down so he can fix it. I'll ask nicely one last time: could you please drop the whole "it doesn't have problems, leave it as is" issue? That isn't the topic at hand, so if you really want to discuss it, please make your own thread.

Edited by pdnnoob

Here how I see the problem of the current colorwheel problem and why I think the triangle within a circle fixes it.

The current design basically implements the HSV color model. Only, and here's the problem, in reduced mode you can only adjust H and S. Where's the V? In reduced mode, you can not select all possible colors.

The triangle within a circle gives you access to the V component as well. This makes it possible to select any color you want right from the reduced mode screen.

Of course, I'm all in support of adding the alpha slider to the reduced mode!

It's good to see other's feedback on how they'd like to see the Colors window improved. Let's just keep the conversation constructive, civil, even professional. Don't worry, I'm listening. That's not a promise to make any changes, however.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Space-wise, a simple set of 4 sliders can't be beat. I'd love to be able to switch between this and a larger, more friendly color picker when using my laptop's screen versus docking it to a 24" monitor. Tabs here would again be the wrong solution, as tabs shouldn't be changing the size of the window.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

oh my god what is going on http://i55.tinypic.com/1zx1c3a.png

yargh...I thought there was a bug sitting on my screen. I seriously reached up and tried to brush it off.

Looks like that wouldn't be too difficult to use with the widened ring. I LIEK! :D

I realize that I'm brand new round here so my suggestion doesn't carry any weight, but why not reduce the size even more? I made this mockup to show what I mean. You would need a selector in the options or something to switch from RGB to HSV, as this only has room for one or the other.

colorwheel.png

Edit: I just realized the switcher thingy would be on the less palette.

Edited by Jamo

I realize that I'm brand new round here so my suggestion doesn't carry any weight,

Wrong! boltbait.big_smile.png We'll listen to anyone who makes sense (and even some that don't, but not for too long..., boltbait.lol.png )

Thanks for contributing your ideas.

I'm kind of thinking that the RGBA and HSV values need to be in the same view => sometimes it is just easier to adjust a color by it's RGBA values, sometimes by the HSV values. I use both interchangeably depending on how I'm trying to modify a color.

Also: Hex values. I like having the Hex values visible.

I realize that I'm brand new round here so my suggestion doesn't carry any weight, but why not reduce the size even more? I made this mockup to show what I mean. You would need a selector in the options or something to switch from RGB to HSV, as this only has room for one or the other.

colorwheel.png

Edit: I just realized the switcher thingy would be on the less palette.

If I were going to make it that small, then I'd just put it in the toolbar.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I feel that the color picker and color swatches could be in separate windows/panels/toolbars/containers/whatever.

That seems like an excellent idea, you could then have the color picker bigger so one could be more precise. Then once you have your swatches set up the picker buggers off and doesn't take up any screen space.

Actually, this is better than..... tabs!