How to Install Plugins ×

Heightmap v1.3

Radobot

I made my version of 3D Heightmap plugin.

New version 1.3 has now light angle option and updated names of settings.

How plugin works:

Imagine that you are looking at uneven surface - heightmap (image in PDN). Lightness of each pixel represents it's height. You can choose from where is light coming and you can adjust the angle of light. Plugin generates how will heightmap look with your settings. It generates lightness of each pixel by calculating at which angle it is from next pixel and generating lightness of pixel form angle.

How to use it:

Light direction - Direction from which is light coming.

Brightness - Angle from which is light coming.

Contrast - Strength of light.

Shadows - Turns on/off shadows.

Replace Alpha - If you have image with transparent parts, this changes them all to one value.

Replace Alpha with - Value, to which change all Alpha in image.

Plugin is in Stylize submenu.

Images before:

screenshotbefore.png

Images after:

screenshotafter.png

Just ask if you want something (previous versions, code, ...) :).

Heightmap v1.3.zip

• Like 1

this looks like it could be useful...(downloads plugin)

PS your sample images are reversed as in if the before pics are labeled 1 2, the after pics would correspond to 2 1. Yay for me over-complicating my explanations

EDIT: I always wanted one of these with a lighting angle adjustment...could you please add that? pleasepleasepleaseplease? I'll give you my imaginary cookie :cookie::)

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I was thinking more along the lines of this :roll: :

heightmap.png

but that was a good addition too... :cookie: moar updates! ^^

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not responding. I don't know how to make that lighting angle :( (I know how to do it mathematically, but I don't know how to write it in code).

Moar updates? Tell me what do you want :) (except that lighting angle :().

Edit: I made new version 1.2 with shadows option!

Edited by Radobot

• 2 months later...

New version 1.3 is available!

Now it has light direction option!

(well, only left, right, top and bottom, but still better than nothing)

• 1 month later...

omygosh I haven't been checking up on this enough. Thanks for the updates! (downloads again)

PS Just a thought, but you may wish to change "light angle" and "difference" to "brightness" and "contrast" so people won't get confused (since those terms are typically reserved for other things). Great plugin! I pretty much don't use height field to normal map anymore because of this ;)

• 1 month later...

Thank you for helping my with this plugin :)! When I program applications/plugins I usually name thing by my names because they came from my crazy ideas and I then know what they mean, so often the names aren't the best and can confuse others. Again thanks :D.

(And by the way I thought you forgot on this plugin, I forgot too :lol:.)

Help? I didn't do much more than post requests xD Thanks for the great plugin! Are you planning on adding more to it in the future?

Yes, help. You're saying what could be improved. I don't know if I will add something to it. I don't know what I could add/improve and be able to add/improve it. If you have any ideas? I'll then tell you if I could add it. :D

• 6 years later...
  • 9 months later...
15 hours ago, mackenzieh said:

Does this plugin work for PDN 4.0+ ?

It works in 4.0.21

1 hour ago, MJW said:

... Texture Shader does something similar, with more (some might say, too many) options.

I'd rephrase this by saying it does what one needs, and more :)

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 2:18 PM, Maximilian said:

It works in 4.0.21

I'd rephrase this by saying it does what one needs, and more :)

I will take this a bit further and ask, does this plugin work with the current version of PDN which is 4.1.6?

25 minutes ago, mackenzieh said:

I will take this a bit further and ask, does this plugin work with the current version of PDN which is 4.1.6? 

What happened when you tried to use it? Do you have any incompatibility to report?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

5 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

What happened when you tried to use it? Do you have any incompatibility to report?

I tried it out and I don't receive any errors. 

Edited by mackenzieh