Feature Request - History log to text file

I know that the history window allows for all changes to be undone(memory permitted) while an image is open. I also know that once you save the image the history is lost. Would it be possible to get all the information saved to a text file. This way you would be able to recreate images more easily. I'm not asking to save all the changes so they can be undone, I just want to be able to see exactly what chages were made to a given image.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

Yeah, that'd be great; thought of it somewhen too.

Maybe also with the settings for used effects (e.g. "Gaussian Blur - Radius: 5" or "Oil Painting - Brush size: 3, Coarseness: 50")

Even better would be, if you could also load such a history file. Well, then we're nearly at the script idea someone else just posted a few days ago :lol:

Maybe also with the settings for used effects (e.g. "Gaussian Blur - Radius: 5" or "Oil Painting - Brush size: 3, Coarseness: 50")

Yeah, thats exactly what I was thinking...I think that it would also have to note which layer was effected.

Based on my limited knowledge. If someone else can prove me wrong, by all means, go for it:

The thing of it is, your history isn't only saving what command was requested, but the state of the image at that time. A text file would save the commands, but not the image state before each one.

The best option whenever you're working on a large project, regardless of the tool you're using, save in increments. :D

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

The thing of it is, your history isn't only saving what command was requested, but the state of the image at that time. A text file would save the commands, but not the image state before each one.
I understand what your saying, but I don't need to have the image state info saved in the text file. My problem is I often find myself messing around and I come up with a very interesting effect (at least to me). All I really need is a listing of all the steps I took and the associated values.

Ah, I see what you're saying. Perhaps I should have read the entire first message, eh? :wink:

Like an "Export History to Text File" button at the bottom of the history window? That could be quite useful. :)

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I know this ties in with that other scripting request thread, but maybe we could even have it load the saved history and apply all the changes to the current image.
Even better would be, if you could also load such a history file. Well, then we're nearly at the script idea someone else just posted a few days ago :lol:

xD :wink:

Illnab1024, of course this _could_ be done; just maybe not by a plugin. (as long as you are speaking about modifying the main code, anything is possible :D)

I don't see where the Effects return information that would help you.

For example, in the history window it simply says "New Image", "Paint Brush", "Gaussian Blur", etc. There is no indication what was drawn with the brush, or the level of the Gaussian blur--it could have been 2 or 45.

The Effect DLL's would have to be rewritten to return important information to Paint.NET that they don't return today. For Gaussian blur it would be a single number, but for some other effects there are tons of settings that need to be returned. How do you standardize all that? I'll tell you... with XML.

Wow, what a mess that would be.

Being able to replay isn't important... All I need is a listing of all the steps I took, the associated layer and any applicable values.

Right but once you have all that information, having replay / scripting is practically a corrolary feature (aka free).

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg