How can I create a shape and recolor it?

dekeweild

Brand new to this software and just installed it but really find it very complicated and unintuitive

basically I have a picture of my hall and I want to change the colour of the blue part to different colours to see what paint would look good.

All I can see is to make rectangles and then a thick brush to recolour each one with the mouse which takes ages.

can I not create a shape to outline the entire blue area and just click on different colour palettes to see how they look?

Thanks

remember I'm a noob so mentioning a few icons to press will still have me scratching around for answers

DSCF2183.jpg

and yes, I know I need a new carpet lol

best to get the painting done first methinks

I reckon colour change tool will work best.

Okay lets try this slowly:

FIRST - Duplicate your Layer

On the right you'll see a window called LAYERS. At the BOTTOM of this window are a series of small icons.

You want to click the THIRD ONE - pdn35icons.MenuLayersDuplicateLayerIcon.png -

This will duplicate your layer.

SECOND

In the TOOLS on the left Find the Colour Picker Tool - pdn35icons.ColorPickerToolIcon.png -

Now RIGHT click on the blue wall.

In the bottom left you should have the colour you just clicked on set as Secondary.

THIRD

Now the magic part, In the tools menu Find the Colour Change Tool - pdn35icons.RecoloringToolIcon.png - (Actually Called Recolour)

Left click on a colour you like on the colour pallet (big colourful thing on bottom left)

Now drag across the wall. If it comes out well well done.

If it comes out all grainy and horrible Try making the TOLERANCE (Slider kinda thing on top bar, has percentage on it)

Mess about with it till you get your desired colour :)

When you done, GO bak to the layer window and UNTICK your current layer.

Now you can do it again with another layer, just duplicate as many times as you wish. :)

There are more elegant solutions and im sure someone will write up a better one. But this will work if you follow steps corretly. :)

PM me if you need more help, or post here.

eOdUjVm.jpg

Conditional Hue/Saturation Effect

Once installed, you'll find this effect under the Adjustments menu. For more on installing plugins: Click here, or http://www.boltbait....lingEffects.asp

At first look, this is an intimidating dialog, but don't be put off, it is a very powerful plugin.

Select the range of colors to be changed by altering the Hue Range sliders directly under the color wheel (use the Show Conditions button if the colorwheel doesn't show up when the dialog opens). I got all the blue areas in your first photo covered by the range 130 to 212.

Set the new color by changing the Hue Action slider. Make sure that Add or Set are checked. If you want to frighten the wife, choose Fade Vertical :D

To alter the energy or power of the new color, alter the Saturation Adjustment slider: to the left = smaller values = more washed out, to the right = larger values = more intense colors.

This image has range 130 to 212, Hue Action of -81 and Add, Saturation Adjustment of 107.

Recolored_Hall.jpg

Another color scheme...

recolorhallway2.png

I reckon colour change tool will work best.

Okay lets try this slowly:

FIRST - Duplicate your Layer

On the right you'll see a window called LAYERS. At the BOTTOM of this window are a series of small icons.

You want to click the THIRD ONE - pdn35icons.MenuLayersDuplicateLayerIcon.png -

This will duplicate your layer.

SECOND

In the TOOLS on the left Find the Colour Picker Tool - pdn35icons.ColorPickerToolIcon.png -

Now RIGHT click on the blue wall.

In the bottom left you should have the colour you just clicked on set as Secondary.

THIRD

Now the magic part, In the tools menu Find the Colour Change Tool - pdn35icons.RecoloringToolIcon.png - (Actually Called Recolour)

Left click on a colour you like on the colour pallet (big colourful thing on bottom left)

If it comes out all grainy and horrible Try making the TOLERANCE (Slider kinda thing on top bar, has percentage on it)

Mess about with it till you get your desired colour :)

When you done, GO bak to the layer window and UNTICK your current layer.

Now you can do it again with another layer, just duplicate as many times as you wish. :)

There are more elegant solutions and im sure someone will write up a better one. But this will work if you follow steps corretly. :)

PM me if you need more help, or post here.

Thanks - tried that and all it did when I got to this part below was draw a line wherever I moved my cursor but nothing else

THIRD

The file you sent works better but still only has a few colours to try and no idea how to add more.

tbh, it seems an awfully complex solution to what is surely a basic requirement of a paint package, namely to draw a line vector shape and vary the colour within it. Maybe MS paint would be a better solution but havent tried that yet.

Thanks for your help anyway. Guess I'm just gonna have to go for the trusted sample paint pots on the wall approach.

On 27/02/2011 at 4:11 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Conditional Hue/Saturation Effect

Once installed, you'll find this effect under the Adjustments menu. For more on installing plugins: Click here, or http://www.boltbait....lingEffects.asp

At first look, this is an intimidating dialog, but don't be put off, it is a very powerful plugin.

Select the range of colors to be changed by altering the Hue Range sliders directly under the color wheel (use the Show Conditions button if the colorwheel doesn't show up when the dialog opens). I got all the blue areas in your first photo covered by the range 130 to 212.

Set the new color by changing the Hue Action slider. Make sure that Add or Set are checked. If you want to frighten the wife, choose Fade Vertical :D

To alter the energy or power of the new color, alter the Saturation Adjustment slider: to the left = smaller values = more washed out, to the right = larger values = more intense colors.

This image has range 130 to 212, Hue Action of -81 and Add, Saturation Adjustment of 107.

Recolored_Hall.jpg

Thanks for your help. I had more success with this approach although the range of colours I could change the selected colours to was limited (e.g green, blue, purple). Couldnt get red to appear for example.

Thanks again.

The value of the hue action slider is very delicate. Try this:

Hue action: SET

Value: -2

Saturation adjustment: 177

The value of the hue action slider is very delicate. Try this:

Hue action: SET

Value: -2

Saturation adjustment: 177

Brilliant! Thanks very much. Seems to do the job now and using cursor keys for the sliders works well.

Good job!

Thanks to all.

Most welcome. I should have mentioned the arrow keys ;)

BTW: left/right keys work as expected, but the up key reduces the value and down increases it :/ (I'd have thought those actions should have been reversed).

• Upvote 1