Development, but *not* a plugin

3of4

Sorry!

I read the rules just now. So, now I know this topic should not be posted here.

Please, ignore or delete it.

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on some image-loading c++ code and I thought it would be cool if the code would be able to directly load pdn files.

So, I though, what-the-heck, why not writing something like a pdnlib with a c++ interface.

If there already is one, I would like to know.

Just one idea where this could lead to: imagine browsing your pdn files in e.g. irfanView (or other tools)

Obviously, I would need some information to write such a lib, so if you, especially the Paint.NET-Developers, like the idea of such a lib any information would help.

Just tell me what you think.

Yours,

3of4

Edited by 3of4

PDN files rely heavily on .NET serialization, so unless you wanted to implement all that yourself (!), you'd have to at least use some managed code via C# or C++/CLI.

Hello pyrochild,

I was quite sure you guys were using serialization (after all, it is a very cool feature of .NET).

However, I have done worse things than reimplementing something like that ;) and it is amazing how much c++ code of such kind can be automatically generated.

Nevertheless, I like to know if you guys would support me (only with information, I am willing to do the work all by myself), or at least if you like the idea.

3of4

Sorry no, there is no support for this right now. If there were an SDK or a published file format or whatever, it'd be on the website somewhere and you could find it with good ol' fashioned search. I am currently very busy with other obligations and I cannot spare any time for this type of project.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Sorry no, there is no support for this right now. If there were an SDK or a published file format or whatever, it'd be on the website somewhere and you could find it with good ol' fashioned search. I am currently very busy with other obligations and I cannot spare any time for this type of project.

Well, I wanted to do the work all by myself.

But it is your project and thus I respect your decision.

1. You may have the right to reverse-engineer the format on grounds of interoperability. Look up the issue on Wikipedia.

2. There is a small program which reads a pdn file and saves all its layers as separate files. So, that program knows the internal structure of the pdn file. It can be found here, on this forum. Just search for it. Its author may help you or you may research the software itself.

3. I don't think that the format changed from version 3.2 on. Or, the source code for version 3.2 is available. You may find it on the Internet. Try using google.

4. If you succeed doing it, please let me know. I would like to see your program.

2. There is a small program which reads a pdn file and saves all its layers as separate files. So, that program knows the internal structure of the pdn file. It can be found here, on this forum. Just search for it. Its author may help you or you may research the software itself.

That program requires an installation of Paint.NET, so it presumably just uses Paint.NET to read it. It's open source, but I haven't looked at the code.

KaHuc.png