How to Install Plugins ×

Simulate Color Depth: Updated 13-07-11

Cookies

This plugin simulate images as if they had X count of bits in total both monochrome and RGB are included

screenshot:

scd[1].png

before:

24bit[1].png

after (dithering - Bayer 8x8):

3bit%20bayer%208x8[1].png

after (dithering - Floyd Steinberg):

3bit%20floyd[1].png

after (no dithering):

3bitrgb[1].png

As you see the colors got reduced when the setting is 3bit RGB but with dithering enabled it doesn't look that harsh as if there wasn't dithering enabled.

If you are wondering why i didn't include 8bit then press Ctrl+Shift+G when you have a colored image open, 8bit monochrome is the same greyscaling an image everything from 9bit and above is colored, in 16bit mode it add's an extra bit to the green component because the human eye is more sensitive to green then red and blue (which can be read in the wiki page linked to below)

Put the DLL into Paint.NET/Effects folder and "Paint.NET User Files" folder in the zip into your documents folder

i used this wiki page as guideline, although the results i get is nothing like the ones on the page i do still believe my results are good i also got the test image from that wiki page

Change Log:
13-07-2011: cleared changelog as there was no reason for it to be there, completely changed the plugin since its start

Changes include:

3 hard coded dithers if no dithers are getting loaded

Custom dithers in XML format

Error diffusion dithers are now represented correct, no "randomization" in them anymore caused by multithreading

DLL: SimulateColorDepth.zip

CookiesSigPDN2.png

• 8 months later...

Updated, completely changed how this thing works. Will work on another plugin for making dither algorithms for this later, also might make this multithreaded later

(Plugin update on my birthday ... Wooo!)

Edited by Cookies
CookiesSigPDN2.png

Happy birthday and thx for the plugin! This may actually come in handy sometime soon...

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

• 9 months later...

I'm not sure if I should post this in this topic or in a new topic in the "Bug reports" section, but I'll try posting it here first.

My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit, & my version of PDN is 3.5.10 portable. Anyway, on 4-25-2012, I downloaded "Simulate color depth" from here. It works very well mostly, except for this bug. You need to have the "Dither" box checked. Then, if you try to use "Stucki" dithering (which doesn't seem to work at all), it will ignore your attempt to use it, & changing the dithering from "Stucki" to a different dither crashes the plug-in. I'm surprised that nobody has posted this before now (I would've posted about it earlier, but my circumstances kept me away from the internet for a very long time).

Also, the only ditherings that I can find are "Floyd-Steinberg", "Stucki", & "Bayer Ordered 8x8". Any help with that?

Finally, I hope that in a future version, you add color versions of all of the bit modes. I trust that I won't have to try too hard to convince you that the option of keeping your color images colored is as important as making them gray-scaled.

Edited by wakanayumi

Images restored thanks to @ReMake

• 7 years later...

wait can you make a new version of Simulate Color Depth for 5.0.13 Please.

what do you think?

@RandomMan181 The version of Simulate Color Depth that you can download from the first post is this topic works in 5.0.13.

What makes you think that it does not?

Have you unzipped the downloaded file and put the .dll in the Effects folder?

See https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/1708-how-to-install-pluginsgeneral-plugin-troubleshooting-thread/

Also, please read the Forum Rules before posting again; read them all but note in particular #10.

I've deleted the personal 'status messages' you used to post questions. Please ask your questions in the forum.

• Like 1