Are all Plugins 'Modal'?

I'm new to this and I apologize for the simplicity of the question. I could not find the naswer.

I wanted to use buttons on a plugin at the same time as being able to paint on the canvas. The couple "Effects" plugins I've seen have been modal which prevents access to the canvas as long as the dialogue is open. Is there another type of plugin that will allow me to have an open dialogue and still paint on the canvas?

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

It is possible to make a modeless plugin.

However, for unknown reasons, the mods get very angry about this.

If you learn some c#, you may code it yourself.

If you need help, ask me.

I would also like non-modal dialogs in many cases. I think it's been discussed at some point for 4.x , but I haven't heard anything in a while.

It is possible to make a modeless plugin.

No, it is not. Not without severely crippling the undo history functions and possibly the stability of Paint.NET itself. And, of course, the forwards-compatibility of the plugin.
However, for unknown reasons, the mods get very angry about this.

"I am too stupid to understand the reasons the moderators get mad at me, despite their repeated attempts to explain themselves" is not "unknown reasons."

We don't get mad when people ask about unsupported features. We get mad when you, Toli, undermine our authority and encourage people to circumvent and compromise Paint.NET's design decisions, after we've told you not to.

We don't get mad when people ask about why our rules are the way they are. We get mad at you, Toli, when you try to undermine and belittle the decisions of the staff here, whether it's just a moderator enforcing the rules, or the developer deciding what these rules are.

We don't get mad when people state their opinions, and suggest changes that could be made to Paint.NET or this forum. We get mad, Toli, when you decide that your own opinions and needs are somehow worth more than everyone else's, especially Rick's, and claim that the program and forum should be a democracy.

Not only is this forum and software property of one Rick Brewster, and thus not a democracy, but what you propose is also not a democracy. You just want to be the one in charge, because you think you know better than everyone else. You don't. So shut your god damn mouth.

As of now, your posts will require individual approval by a moderator. I really am tired of your attitude towards the staff here.

• Upvote 1

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Well... He should not try to publish such a plugin.

But I really think he can use it at his own home computer.

> As of now, your posts will require individual approval by a moderator.

I don't think so.

pyrochild says: You don't think so? I do think so.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Nope. Nor do I think that plugins will ever be non-modal. The process is that a plugin operates on any Selection within the Active Layer. Period. Imagine the complexity involved if the user then went and changed the selection or layer during rendering to the original layer?

<locked due to this thread being ancient>