Making a Jewel

barbieq25

This is still an excellent tutorial, but it uses 2 plugins (Radial Blur Deluxe and Zoom Blur Deluxe) that are incompatible with Paint.NET 4.0.  I'm not locking it, but I am unpinning it until a new version of those plugins are released.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 9 months later...

Great to see you try something different Nai. Lovely colours & the gem is just gorgeous! I really like the way you did the background. Silver looks good too.

I will re-write this one so that it doesn't need Radial Blur Deluxe and Zoom Blur Deluxe as they are not that essential to creating a jewel.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

• 1 year later...

Making a Jewel - a tute from me at last! If there is anything that needs to be changed please let me know.

Plugins:

Align Object

Drop Shadow

Fast FX or Glow and Soften Portrait

Bevel Selection

Gaussian Blur

Circle text

Radial Blur Deluxe

Zoom Blur Deluxe

Flag image: Flag

FONT:AEROFOIL

Unfortunately, as of 11/23/2015, the Radial Blur Deluxe and Zoom Blur Deluxe  lead to plugins which are not compatible with PND 4.x.

Yep. I think I'm gonna find every broken link or link to a non-current plugin in the Forum....

Unfortunately, as of 11/23/2015, the Radial Blur Deluxe and Zoom Blur Deluxe  lead to plugins which are not compatible with PND 4.x.

Yep. I think I'm gonna find every broken link or link to a non-current plugin in the Forum....

Marilynx, Radial Blur Deluxe is very similar to the basic Radial Blur, as the name suggests ;) If you center the image you want to Radial Blur you'll get a similar result with the basic plugin.

Also, as Barbieq25 said, those plugins are not that essential to the creation. The basic ones already installed should do the trick :)

Edited by Limon

Oh, because I am allergic to things I do not want to do. *Cough*

- Michael J. Caboose

Marilynx, Radial Blur Deluxe is very similar to the basic Radial Blur, as the name suggests ;) If you center the image you want to Radial Blur you'll get a similar result with the basic plugin.

Also, as Barbieq25 said, those plugins are not that essential to the creation. The basic ones already installed should do the trick :)

Thanks, Limon. And I do have Align Object!

Okay, here's my take on this. I started with gray rather than yellow, since I already knew I wanted silver for the metal. I tinkered with the settings to have gray again later in the tutorial. I did not do the drop shadow. I used an opal from the Opal Tutorial. On that, I used the same sized canvas as for the jewelry tutorial, and when the time came to resize the canvas, I reduced it by 12.5%, which is what the scale on the tutorial called for. I also used Color Balance to shift the tones more towards the blues and greens.

Interesting.

post-143238-0-21772000-1448352376_thumb.

Edited by Marilynx
  • Upvote 2

Nice outcome Marilynx. If you want to turn the gold into silver you can press CTRL + G. Then tinker with the Brightness/Contrast in the Adjustments menu. 

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Nice outcome Marilynx. If you want to turn the gold into silver you can press CTRL + G. Then tinker with the Brightness/Contrast in the Adjustments menu. 

Not sure I follow you -- by starting with gray, and using gray tones rather than yellow, I achieved silver. What does Ctrl + G  do?

Thanks...

Oooops my bad! CTRL + G turns the image 90 deg clockwise. CTRL + SHIFT + G turns it to black & white. I use this method when I want the gold to be silver without having to break my head on settings for silver :D Just another way of working that's all.

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Oooops my bad! CTRL + G turns the image 90 deg clockwise. CTRL + SHIFT + G turns it to black & white. I use this method when I want the gold to be silver without having to break my head on settings for silver :D Just another way of working that's all.

Lol. Well, that explains why a theoretically perfectly round item didn't look any different after a Ctrl + G!

I will file that Ctrl + Shift + G for B & W change. I had found it on the menu, but for something I may be using a bunch, having the short cut memorized is a Good Thing.

Thank you!

Edited by Marilynx

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here's my take on this. I started with gray rather than yellow, since I already knew I wanted silver for the metal. I tinkered with the settings to have gray again later in the tutorial. I did not do the drop shadow. I used and opal from the Opal Tutorial. On that, I used the same sized canvas as for the jewelry tutorial, and when the time came to resize the canvas, I reduced it by 12.5%, which is what the scale on the tutorial called for. I also used Color Balance to shift the tones more towards the blues and greens.

Interesting.

attachicon.gifJewelryTutorial_2015-11-24.JPG

I really like that opal effect you have going on. Very nice image!   :)

I really like that opal effect you have going on. Very nice image!   :)

Can't claim credit for that opal -- it was from the linked tutorial. I just played with the colors somewhat, since I have seen Australian "black" opals and really liked some of the colors.

<g> Another Lynx!

Can't claim credit for that opal -- it was from the linked tutorial. I just played with the colors somewhat, since I have seen Australian "black" opals and really liked some of the colors.

<g> Another Lynx!

I tried to link to the opal tut and there's no link. I was interested in exploring it as I had just released a faceted gemstone pack in the Shapes forum, and thought I could get some ideas.    :)

Yes, another lynx.....an old childhood nickname.    :mrgreen:

Lol. Well, that explains why a theoretically perfectly round item didn't look any different after a Ctrl + G!

I will file that Ctrl + Shift + G for B & W change. I had found it on the menu, but for something I may be using a bunch, having the short cut memorized is a Good Thing.

Thank you!

If you haven't yet, you might like viewing all of paint.net's shortcut keys : http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/KeyboardMouseCommands.html

You don't need to memorize everything, but there might be some good to know commands.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

• 2 months later...

Making a Jewel - a tute from me at last! If there is anything that needs to be changed please let me know.

Dear Barbieq!  <3

I learn a lot of you fantastic creation. Thanks and respect for hard work.

ztud6329.png

• Upvote 1

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

• 1 month later...

I used the Gnommish "A" and got a different frame. When the frame was finished, I had to delete some white spots, and I think it turned out pretty cool. I used a wallpaper from  Wallpaper Abyss for the jewel, and a rose in the background. However, I kind of messed around and got a background that I wasn't really pleased with so I'll give the jewel another go sometime.

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Icegodes said:

That you for the tutorial, it has much versatility to it. 

Oh, glad you found it useful & I do love those rings! Very pretty!

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012