New Idea for a Tutorial Competition

Mike Ryan

I highly advise against tiered competitions. There are a plethora of beginner's tutorials, and if any advance tutorial was chosen it wouldn't be hard for me (or any other comp host) to post a link to recommended tutorials for practice. Besides, comp hosts, how many new Paint.NET users join your comps in comparison to seasoned users?

On the Abstract and Space comps I get new members on a pretty regular basis, but on the WOTW not so much. I'm glad to see that you won't be running this as a tiered comp. I'm finding the more simple the comp is to run the better it is for everyone. They take up more time than you think they would. Have you given any thoughts to how you are going to do entries and voting? I'm betting you will have a big turnout on some of these.

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

I also agree on not tiering the competition, and Possum said it well, the more simple the comp is to run the better it is for everyone.

A single difficulty tutorial competition is fine as it levels the playing field, and the need to differentiate between which tutorial falls into which category is eliminated, which is great as i think that if there was to be a novice, medium and advanced boundaries the line would be considerably blurred.

I like the idea of the PS and GIMP tuts competition too. would be interesting to see other peoples methods to produce a similar result.

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

Maybe the idea of having a comp for newbies only isn't a bad idea, I'm just sure how it would be managed. It might bring more attention to the comps in general, and at the same time give some of the newbies a way to gauge how they are doing. I'm sure there are other benefits that could be realized for the comps, newbies, and forum in general. It wouldn't necessarily have to be something tied to the tuts. It could be just a general comp with no defined theme. You know like a post your artwork and have people vote on it. Something to think about anyway.

Ok, so here are the rules for the competition:

• There is no maximum image size but if any of the images are larger than 800x800, please LINK to it instead!
  • No crude / offensive language, pics, et cetera.
  • Submissions will be disqualified if it does not match the theme of the tutorial!
  • Only one entry per person and no modifications to your image are allowed after submitting your entry.
  • Unless the tutorial SPECIFICALLY calls for a stock image, no stock images are allowed!
  • You are allowed one post in this topic. That post should include your entry, links to your source images.
  • Beyond these rules, if the competition host finds that the entry is clearly inappropriate for one reason or another, he or she may disqualify that entry without warning
  • Note: Unlike other competitions, the winner does NOT get to choose the theme for next week's competition, but he or she is welcome to make suggestions

As soon as it gets approved, I'd like to nominate myself to be the competition host and I'd start the competition immediately. Any suggestions for a great first tutorial?

signature.png

Yea Mike ! <claps wildly> Great idea and great job on putting it together !