Fill shape with image, and camouflage activities

Hello,

I've been using paint.net to teach camouflage patterns (and basic image editing) for a middle primary class.

We have used the tutorial found here (http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/13380-camouflage/) and looking to do something more. My original aim was for the students to make their cam pattern, then make a object (eg person, car) and fill it with the pattern they made. Then put the now camo'd image into a background picture suitable for their type of camouflage (eg jungle backdrop for green/green camo).

But I cant work out how to do so with paint.net. We've used the selection tool to put circles of the pattern into the backdrop, but would prefer a more complex shape/picture.

Also, any other interesting ideas or suggestions to do with camouflage with paint.net would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

You could use dingbat fonts at a large font size

as templates to make selections with Magic Wand.

http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=702

Put the templates on their own layer, make the Magic Wand selection,

copy from the camo layer, paste into the chosen background layer (jungle, etc.).

Or you could cut objects out of existing pictures, and place them in new backgrounds.

Then use the same selection to copy camo and paste it into a new top layer.

Set the layer Blend mode to Multiply or another mode that will allow some transparency.

My original aim was for the students to make their cam pattern, then make a object (eg person, car) and fill it with the pattern they made. Then put the now camo'd image into a background picture suitable for their type of camouflage (eg jungle backdrop for green/green camo).

It sounds like you want to put the camo on a layer behind the image (person, car), select the image edge with a lasso, fill the image with a transparent color, and let the camo beneath it show through? Then, lasso the edge, copy and paste the selection into the background picture?

(If that sounds right, you'd also want to add some feather of the selection so the edges aren't too jagged.).