How might one pixelate by colour

woodworker

I would like to be able to pixelate a photo but have the output be comprised of only 6 - 8 colours. Is there a technique or effect I can use? Any help greatly appreciated.

Too slow D:

Maybe you should get the 'Segment Image' PlugIn too, it can extract a palette with a variable amount of colours from a picture. Extract the colours (colour picker) to your palette, save the palette, delete all the colours you don't need and load the file into Selective Palette.

Too slow D:

Maybe you should get the 'Segment Image' PlugIn too, it can extract a palette with a variable amount of colours from a picture. Extract the colours (colour picker) to your palette, save the palette, delete all the colours you don't need and load the file into Selective Palette.

lol wut?

but have the output be comprised of only 6 - 8 colours

Hand-picking 6-8 colours is too slow for you???

... in fact, it's probably faster than all that you suggested... :P

Edited by n d

ndeee2.png

Thanks all.

I've tried all you have suggestions and I'm still not getting the result I want. This tells me that I didn't ask the right question so I'll try again. I want to be able to take a photograph and if i zoom in all I will see are pixels of 6-8 basic colours of my choosing(no shadings just the colours I choose). For example, just red green blue white and black. If I zoom out it will look like the photo. The reason I want this is so that I can take the output and use it to make a painting of just dots close together. Does that make sense to anyone?

lol wut?

Hand-picking 6-8 colours is too slow for you???

... in fact, it's probably faster than all that you suggested... :P

I think you need to be a little less arrogant with 53 posts.

No, I referred to you posting faster. I was still figuring out the Segment Image thing when you posted :L

Oh damn, did I make a fool of myself now =O

but yeah, that's what they call me back home... "fast-post nd" B)

ndeee2.png

I want to be able to take a photograph and if i zoom in all I will see are pixels of 6-8 basic colours of my choosing(no shadings just the colours I choose). For example, just red green blue white and black.

That's pretty much what Selective Palette does.

Change the Dithering Method, Threshold doesn't really fit your goal (try Floyd-Steinberg or Bayer).

SY0nG.jpg

becomes

bmHtw.jpg

If I zoom out it will look like the photo.

That's where Segment Image comes in. It creates a palette out of the colours of the photo.

BbawW.jpg

Pixelating simply to reduce the number of dots that you have to render in the painting is a good first step.

You can then reproduce each pixelated block as a four quadrant rendering in the painting.

Red, Green, Blue and Gray.

Pixelate the original, then separate it into four layers by color channel, plus gray-scale.

Transfer a color pick from each layer to each of the four quadrants.

Extract Channel

• 2 weeks later...

Pixelating simply to reduce the number of dots that you have to render in the painting is a good first step.

You can then reproduce each pixelated block as a four quadrant rendering in the painting.

Red, Green, Blue and Gray.

Pixelate the original, then separate it into four layers by color channel, plus gray-scale.

Transfer a color pick from each layer to each of the four quadrants.

Extract Channel

Sarkut,

Thank you for the info and what you describe sounds like exactly what I need. Unfortunately I am such a newbie I can't figure out what you are suggesting other than pixelate. Would it be too much to ask to see an example here showing the other steps? Appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

Since your most recent post, I've worked on developing the idea a bit.

My previous idea needed the addition of posterizing to control the number of shades.

This image has a gray-scale ground of 8 tones, and 8 shades for each of the color channels.

Total 32 colors.

http://a.imageshack.us/img339/6733/pixelflowertester01.png

The number of colors needed can be adjusted by varying the degree of posterization.

Image quality will vary proportionately.

(Posterize is in the Adjustments menu.)

Try to view this at as close to 100% zoom as possible and from across the room.

Viewing on PC monitor at reduced zoom levels will introduce aliasing that

wouldn't be present if the image was rendered to canvas and viewed at a distance.

Additional visuals:

http://a.imageshack.us/img638/3786/flowersampler01.png

Shows original, pixelated/posterized, selection mask, extracted color channels.

If you have any questions, let me know.