Shaped gradient - my first plugin

n d

RAR is evil.

exactly! I agree with pyrochild, just zip the thing "pretty please", as all the other plugin writers do.

I'll retry to use the source file provided above if you refuse to use zip, but may need some assistance to build the dll. Last attempt I still received error messages.

ciao OMA

Edited by oma

Pyrochild, what do you have against RAR?

It's proprietary, not documented, not free, does not achieve good compression ratios compared to 7Z, and does not have good compatibility compared to ZIP, and generally more confusing to non-geeks compared to ZIP.

For some reason, the "Scene" has an obsession with packaging their stuff in 100-part RAR archives with little-to-no compression. The overhead of each file, then, makes the "compressed" version several hundred MB larger than the original file(s).

Evil.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Hmm, interesting stuff about the rar vs. zip...

A propos, what ever happened to ARJ? I remember when practically all packages used to be ARJ... this was before teh interwebs though, when people still used 1.44MB disks and needed to divide their packages to disk-sized portions... ARJ was convenient for that. Hmm, did I just answer my own question - did ARJ become obsolete with the introduction of larger HD:s and cheaper CD drives?

---

Enough nostalgizing though, about the anti-alias thing again... I consulted BoltBait and took a peek at his code in Outline Selection, and for now it doesn't seem to be a feasible solution for this plugin. Perhaps someone who is less of a noob than me can prove me wrong, if anyone wants to play around with my source code I won't take offense...

So anyway, since for the moment I can't see a way to implement a proper anti-alias function on the plugin, I'm thinking of releasing this on the general plugins forum... I can always post updates if I manage to write the anti-alias some day.

---

Oh, and here's a workaround you can use - I use this lots of times when I have pixelation that is not on the edges, ie. can't be dealt with feather: duplicate layer, apply eigen blur with radius 1 & RGB only on the new layer, then reduce opacity somewhat and merge it with the lower layer.

ndeee2.png

• 1 month later...

Just downloaded and installed 3D Trail and Shaped Gradient. I notice there is no icon for either one when it`s listed in PDN. Will you be adding them? I know it`s only a small thing but it would be nice.

Havn`t had time to try them out yet but I`m looking forward to it after seeing some of the images made here. Thanks n d ;)

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

• 2 months later...

Enough nostalgizing though, about the anti-alias thing again... such as website http://www.tvdrawing.com I consulted BoltBait and took a peek at his code in Outline Selection, and for now it doesn't seem to be a feeasible solution for this plugin. Perhaps someone who is less of a noob than me can prove me wrong, if anyone wants to play around with my source code I won't take offense...

• 1 year later...