How to Install Plugins ×

Grid Maker Plugin v3.0 - Updated July 2, 2014

Illnab1024

...and put it in your \Paint.NET\Effects folder, right?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that there is a button in Paint.NET that renders a grid on screen, and is useful for the alignment of assets, however, nothing can be done with it, in a image. Is it possible to somehow, adapt this button to render a grid that is useful in an image?

WindowsVista2Concept.png

My Internet Explorer 8 Concept....

My Deviant Art

My Forum

Not without Rick doing it. Plugins can't do anything with the Paint.NET interface other than add lines to the Effects or Adjustments menus, or to the Filetypes box.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 3 months later...

I like this plugin, but is there a way to make it so the borders aren't so thick? I am trying to make a grid with boxes 2 pixels wide but with the 2 pixel border it is too fat.

• 9 months later...
Madjik,

Does David's response about Rick making the grids interactive(?)--instead of the image it appears to be--mean no 'snap-to' functionality?

A the bottom-right corner, Paint.Net gives you the x,y positions of the cursor. You could also use the cursor arrows (up,left,down,right) to move it more precisely.

With the shift key you could add some constraint (horizontal,vertical,some chosen angles) when you draw a line. The menu view suggests to set or not the rulers.

With the grid plugin, you could add a layer, draw you own grid you like and place it as a guide. You could press F and adjust the opacity....

• 1 year later...

Hey Guys

So far so good, thanks!

Been using Paint.net for a few years now and really enjoying.

Have a question though related to the plugin...

The grid seems to be in pixels. I'm working on a project at the moment where I'm using "mm" but the grid and ruler don't match up anymore. Yeah yeah, I know I should be using autocad.

Is is possible to change the grid units in mm?

Thanks in advance

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Is there a way to make the individual cells of the grid function independently? What I want to do is click on a particular square in the grid with the fill tool and have it fill only that square.

Have you tried making your grid, then use the fill tool but adjust it's tolerance?

Wow, do I feel like an idiot! Thank you, I should have thought of this right away... battling a migraine is my only excuse ;)

• 6 months later...

is it possible to add the option of magnet grid ?

thanks a lot for this plugin.

I guess you are not looking for a feature which can be handled by a plugin. If you like to get a feature which snaps objects to a grid while you are drawing then you should make a suggestion in the 'Paint.NET Discussion and Question' section.

midoras signature.gif

• 1 year later...

Does this also have the ability to snap to grid points?

If not could it be added?

Edit: Noticed a post above, just to clarify, I need to draw something not position it, so I need to be able to snap to a grid point, draw a line, snap to another grid point, etc. So the PseudoSnap plugin mentioned would not help there.

Edited by creamlapine
Adding additional info

• 5 months later...

Your best bet is ShapeMaker (link in my signature) with the grid feature turned ON. The grid itself cannot be modified, so you can't set the grid size. The Shape can be zoomed in and out to get around this.

• Upvote 1