Lightning

This plugin has been kicking around for a while, but I've never got around to releasing it.

It pretty much automates this technique for creating lightning: http://forums.getpai...post__p__330711

I have to thank @BoltBait for his excellent tutorial on writing plugins (especially part 3!)

Here's how it looks:

Lightning.jpg

With a little fiddling its possible to create reasonable smoke and all sorts of interesting energy bolts.

The downside is that you have to use it over a gradient for the effect to be any good.

Comments welcomed.

Lightning.zip

EER, thanks for sharing such a great plugin. It's one that does take a bit of thinking & tinkering but the results are well worth it.

I have named this image "Lightning EER". I hope to create more with it at a later time. Keen to see how others use it.

I agree with Welshy that this will be a boon for spacies esp the nebulae. The top part of the background in this image was created by the same as the bottom part before I ran the Fire render, but I used Madjik's Magnify plugin on it & then used a transparent gradient.

Again, thanks ever so much! :mtdew::pizza::star:

Lightning_EER_by_barbieq25.png

Edited by barbieq25
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Hey guys, thanks for your feedback.

So no one is concerned that you have to use it over a gradient? @Cookies suggested I include the gradient in the plugin. A worthy suggestion. However, I like that the gradient tool can be used in many different ways and don't want to overcomplicate the plugin UI to try and mimic all the functions of the gradient tool.

@ Welshy & barbieq25: I'd be very keen to see your interpretation of a nebula tutorial using this plugin. Nebulae are a common "how to" request. A joint effort?

@barbieq25: Love that pic! boltbait.cool.png

I'd rather not have a gradients option added to the plugin. In fact I think it would be counter-productive.

Not only do gradients work but textures such as Nebulous & Rainbow Twist give great results. The centre was done by using Lightning plugin over Nebulous Texture & Dents. See below:

SOTW_Music_and_Bands_by_barbieq25.png

I have tried it on other images & I can tell you it produces some awesome results! It really doesn't need gradients.

Experiment. This is a FANTASTIC plugin!

EER, if you do add gradients, will there be an option to not have them but to run it the way it is now?

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

I'm going to leave the plugin as it is unless someone finds a problem with it.

Thanks for your excellent endorsement boltbait.smile.png

Good Job, fast rendering also !

As the lightning is based on the average part of the gradient, you could perhaps simulate it in the calculation and just provide a angle chooser and a slider for the width... and a checkbox to choose to simulate or use the existing picture.

(just an idea...)

Good Job, fast rendering also !

Ooooh! A top level endorsement. Thank you boltbait.big_smile.png

As the lightning is based on the average part of the gradient, you could perhaps simulate it in the calculation and just provide a angle chooser and a slider for the width... and a checkbox to choose to simulate or use the existing picture.

If it were just a linear gradient I'd seriously consider this, but the problem becomes more difficult when we consider conical, diamond and radial gradients could also be used as a base to this effect.

I'll PM you the codelab source if you want to have a look?

Note to all:

@Cookies and myself are working on a new version with a built-in gradient (option).

We'll report back when we have something up and running.

I have a question. Would it be possible to add a x and y coordinate to move the lightning bolt around instead of a static position?

It looks like a very promising plug-in, something I may use in a project I'm currently working on, and this will come in handy.

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

Yes this feature is being explored (with many others too!). Also is the option to use an existing gradient or have the plugin generate one for you.

@Cookies is doing all the hard work - but I feel we're making excellent progress on the plugin.

• 3 weeks later...

Cookies has released his new version of this effect. Get it here: Lightning - by cookies