Windows Image Acquisition

I used to crop & print pictures with Paint.net no problem. I have not used Paint.net for more than a year. I was surprised when I got the "wiaaut.dll" unavailable error message below. Searched the FAQ and received the 26 November 2009 post..."enable 'Desktop Expenience' post. Hey, I don't have a server or anything else just home computer running Windows XP. I do not know how to proceed and would appreciate some help. Thank you.

---------------------------

Paint.NET

The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) library, "wiaaut.dll" is unavailable. Please read the Help file (Help menu -> Help Topics), in the Frequently Asked Questions topic, for troubleshooting information.

OK

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:33 AM

Hi,

I've seen no other programs require "Windows Image Acquisition" for printing but Paint.NET and I hope a future version might do without (unless you actually need to acquire images!).

This however took me a little while to figure out so it might be worth adding to the FAQ: The Windows Image Acquisition Service is not installed by default on Server 2008 R2. You need to enable the "feature" named "Desktop Experience" for the service to appear.

Kind Regards,

Claus Andersen

Hi,

I'm not entirely positive this is the exact problem, but based on the information above, please check the following:

1. Open the Start Menu (windows menu)
  2. Click on 'Run'
  3. Type in 'msconfig'
  4. Click on the 'services' tab
  5. Sort by name
  6. Look for 'Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)'
  7. Make sure it's ticked
    8PpUr.png
  8. Press Okay and reboot
  9. Try printing

Other than that, make sure you have the latest version of Paint.NET, and run it with administrative rights (Windows might be blocking PDN's attempt to start the service?).

WW3tz.jpg

"Ah, i love it when huge pineapples try to take over the world, it makes me sentimental :')"

-Stephan

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm not entirely positive this is the exact problem, but based on the information above, please check the following:

1. Open the Start Menu (windows menu)
  2. Click on 'Run'
  3. Type in 'msconfig'
  4. Click on the 'services' tab
  5. Sort by name
  6. Look for 'Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)'
  7. Make sure it's ticked
    8PpUr.png
  8. Press Okay and reboot
  9. Try printing

Other than that, make sure you have the latest version of Paint.NET, and run it with administrative rights (Windows might be blocking PDN's attempt to start the service?).

An added note to this:

My Win7 system wouldn't allow me to start Windows Image Activation. Here is what worked for me.

1) Hit Control/Alt/Del and "Start Task Manager"

2) Click on "Services" tab and go to the bottom and you will see another "Services" button, click that.

3) Right click on "Windows Image Activation" and select Properties.

4) Click on "Dependencies" tab. In the upper box you will see the services that WIA needs to run. Unless these are also running, WIA will not run.

5) Go to each service named and turn them on (set to "Automatic")

6) Once any/all dependencies for WIA are running, go back and set the WIA to "Automatic".

This did the trick for me. Somehow the dependencies that WIA needed were turned off and keeping WIA from running. Now Paint.Net works perfectly

Hope this helps.

HolidayJim

Holiday, Florida

Edited by HolidayJim

Whoa, Jim. This thread is over a year old. It refers to an obsolete version of the program. If you're having issues, create a new troubleshooting thread.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.