Special Discussion

Possum Roadkill

I think y'all are seriously overthinking this.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I liked it when it was pure and simple , people posted their entries ; then the polls go up and people voted . But then that's just me I'm not into complicated things ..

What's wrong with PM entries and a simple link on polldaddy for a poll?

Click a link and vote instead of click a link and vote..

Same goes for entering.

Instead of clicking the topic link, posting in the image URL and clicking Post, you click on the Envelope icon, post in your image URL, and click Send.

I think y'all are seriously overthinking this.

I'm with you on this. Waaaaaay too complicated.

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

Well frankly I think voting should be kept as simple as possible . It would make things easier for the voters and the host that way and would make it easier to enter in the first place.Making things too complicated puts people off.

Originally I was against having to PM my entry but I have warmed to the idea since. I think PM`ing the image is a good idea and helps to ensure that the best picture does win. However if there are some people who are determined to get together and vote for each others work what`s stopping them PM`ing each other to say which one is theirs? I`m sure this doesn`t happen but as I recall, all of this PM`ing business came about because of just such a problem with friends voting for each other instead of the best work.

If it was down to me we`d just post and vote like before. As Soka said - it was pure and simple.But I guess that`s no longer an option so just PM`ing and voting as before would be my preferred method and it should be the same across all comps to make it less confusing.

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

PM entries OK with me, but PollPaddy not, because it is an external site, that means you sing-up the PDN forum, and don't vote through it, so you can vote more than once in those kind of sites by deleting your history or using another browser, and they don't support the IP address voting...! That is what I believe so and I may be wrong.

PM entries OK with me, but PollPaddy not, because it is an external site, that means you sing-up the PDN forum, and don't vote through it, so you can vote more than once in those kind of sites by deleting your history or using another browser,

If they're that desperate to cheat, they'll find some way, like creating a sockpuppet (assuming there aren't any post count restrictions on voting).

and they don't support the IP address voting...!

They do.

SC729.png

KaHuc.png

PM entries OK with me, but PollPaddy not, because it is an external site, that means you sing-up the PDN forum, and don't vote through it, so you can vote more than once in those kind of sites by deleting your history or using another browser, and they don't support the IP address voting...! That is what I believe so and I may be wrong.

That brings up a good point. You have to be a registered member here to vote in the poll, but on a site like polldaddy or surveymonkey you don't have to be a registered member to vote. That means that anyone could vote in the poll?

Here is what the free version of polldaddy says.....

100 Survey Responses per Month (we might exceed this on one account for all comps)

10 Questions per Survey

Polldaddy Link in Content

Basic Poll & Survey Reports

1 User Account (we would not be able to share an account)

Like I said, you can go ahead and run the AVOTW like that, and I'll run my comps the way I am. I really don't mind if you use polldaddy because it's your comp to run as you see fit. I don't think we need to argue about it, I think we just disagree with the way they should be run. I've been running them for a while now and I'm OK with the way I'm doing it and I'm OK with you running your comp the way you want.

Now for the thing I mentioned on Friday. I have asked three artists on here to create new awards to replace the ribbons I made a while back. One artist each for the three comps I run so everyone who wins the different comps will receive a different award. There will be awards given for the top three places for each comp. I'll post them here as soon as they have them ready and then I'll reveal who the artist for each of them is.

Edited by Possum Roadkill

I think that could be viewed as either a good or bad thing...

More votes is a good thing IMO...

I like PollDaddy. It is simple, and anybody can vote. So, I think it is the best way to go.

So you guys think people who aren't even forum members should be able to vote?

I think so too.

Possum, as long as we both keep the same method (PM entries, you can post on other sites, public vote) then there should be no problem. I have already incorporated PM entries and polldaddy, but I have only gotten two entries. PLEASE SUBMIT AN ENTRY!!!!

Hopefully next week will be a little more cooperative and I think we should lock this thread after we reach a decision.

Yeah, the more votes...the better.

I think so too.

Possum, as long as we both keep the same method (PM entries, you can post on other sites, public vote) then there should be no problem. I have already incorporated PM entries and polldaddy, but I have only gotten two entries. PLEASE SUBMIT AN ENTRY!!!!

Hopefully next week will be a little more cooperative and I think we should lock this thread after we reach a decision.

I always saw this as a Paint.net forum competition where members entered their artwork and other members voted for the art piece they thought was the best. Apparently you see this a something much different than I do. There's nothing wrong with that as long as you respect the fact that I see my comps differently. So far I have given my reasoning as to why I want to keep my comps the way I am doing them currently. I think the past two weeks have shown that the blind entry method works and the voting was not influenced by people voting for their friends, but for the best piece of art. I think the method is as fair as we can make it. So I think my method works for how I see these competitions and what they have traditionally been since long before either of the three of us have been members on this forum. Like I have said, I do not plan on making any additional changes to my comps.

I have so far not seen where you have given a reason to change things so drastically. Why is it that you think non-members of this forum should be allowed to vote in the comps? Why is it that you don't think the polling method on this forum is not fair or inferior to something like polldaddy. If things are working why "fix" it with such drastic changes? I just don't see the logic in any of this. You are free to run your comp as you see fit, but I'm real curious as to why this has come up and the thought process behind it since your original PM to me was all about the blind entry method.

I'd also like to point out some things that I think are flaws in your plan. If you host the poll on polldaddy and allow anyone (non-Paint.net forum members) to vote in the poll, then I could send out an email to all the people in my office and ask them to vote for my entry. We have over 400 employees where I work. I also have a big family spread out all over the country and we all stay in touch one way or another. The snowman Christmas card I made last Christmas was downloaded off my forum over 200 times, 450 times off my photobucket account, over 300 times off our company server and another 1200 + on my Facebook gallery and I have no idea how many times off this forum and PdN Fans and DA or how many people emailed it to their friends. Just about everyone in my County knows who I am. So how fair would it be if I decided to pull out all the stops and get all these people to vote for my entry in one of your polls on polldaddy? It wouldn't be fair at all. So far you haven't given me any reason to think your method will be more fair that mine. Here's your chance to argue your side.

I would also like to hear what other members think about letting non-forum members vote in the comps.

As to locking this thread, since it's my thread, I'd say that either my choice or Pyrochild's call to lock it.