Yet another 1603 installation problem

Hi,

I'm setting up my brand new Windows 7 Home Premium PC. Installing Paint.Net 3.5.5 gives me the dread 1603 fatal error. What happens is:

1. The installer says it's creating a system restore point (it is created)

2. The installer says it's removing the previous version (though no previous version should exist, since the PC is freshly installed; possibly though this is due to previous faliures trying to install 3.5.5)

3. The installer says it's installing Paint.net

4. As soon as the installatation progress bar appears, I get the 1603 error.

I browsed this forum and read a dozen or so different ways to "fix" this. Tried everything, still no luck:

- sfc /scannow says my system is 100% ok

- I see no orphaned registry entries about paint.net

- reboot didn't solve the issue

- antivirus switched off, still got 1603 error

- custom installation to a different folder still fails

- took the 3.5.4 version installer I had saved on my old PC, it also fails

- the PdnMsiInstall.log reads:

=== Logging started: 18/07/2010 01:41:18 ===

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2203. The arguments are: C:\Windows\Installer\537230.ipi, -2147287035,

=== Logging stopped: 18/07/2010 01:41:18 ===

Any help appreciated!

Regards,

Marco

And did you try the Windows Installer Cleanup utility? Make sure you read the sticky post at the top of this forum that is in all caps.

No I didn't since Microsoft removed it from its website declaring it potentially harmful: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;290301&x=9&y=10

While the Windows Installer Cleanup utility resolved some installation problems, it sometimes damaged other components installed on the computer. Because of this, the tool has been removed from the Microsoft Download Center.

Regards,

Marco

No I didn't since Microsoft removed it from its website declaring it potentially harmful: http://support.micro...290301&x=9&y=10

While the Windows Installer Cleanup utility resolved some installation problems, it sometimes damaged other components installed on the computer. Because of this, the tool has been removed from the Microsoft Download Center.

Regards,

Marco

I'm having similar problems. Fatal error etc. 1603. The only thing different was that I had an earlier version installed which would no longer function after I upgraded. I then tried to uninstall the original version but ran into problems.

I've spent 2 extremely frustrating days trying to get v3.5.5 installed and followed every instruction provided and suggested...all to no avail.

If microsoft has removed something claiming it's harmful I'm not willing to risk using it!

If microsoft has removed something claiming it's harmful I'm not willing to risk using it!

Nor me indeed. However, I managed to install PdN 3.5.5 by restoring a previous restore point. I don't actually know why this solved the issue.

Regards,

Marco

We've been using that utility for years without issue. It's a dangerous utility, but so is everything else on your computer. At any point you could open the Registry Editor and randomly delete everything. However, that utility is still included with every single Windows intallation.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I'd done everything suggested all to no avail!

I downloaded the windows installer cleanup utility and used it to remove PDN successfully and completely.

After having done that, I deleted the directory from C/drive/program files/Paint.net... and checked everywhere else to be sure that every trace of PDN was gone including checking control panel/add and remove programs.( It was no longer there)

I then deleted the zipped file containing the install file and re-downloaded it. (probably unnecessarily)

When I tried to install it.... I got exactly the same problem all over again.

However, on a suggestion from another member I tried repairing the .net framework installed through the control panel/add or remove programs and "yippee", it installed correctly.

If anyone needs more help on this just post in here or PM me for more details.

Edited by kellio