New feature request: Feather Selection

Rick, is there any way to add a "feather" feature?

I've seen several requests like this one: http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=2257

And, I know that whenever I need to do this it is a pain. The steps to do the feathering are pretty standard and work nicely. I just wish they could be automated.

This is such a base function for photo manipulation that it is a shame that it is so difficult in Paint.net.

I told you before that I would keep a log of when I use Corel Photo Paint over Paint.net. This is one of those times.

Thanks for listening.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it just me, or is the feather effect excactly like gaussian blur (1 px)? I tested this with a white dot (1x1), used the both effects on the identical dots, and got identical results. The test came up with the same results with a green dot (2x2). I think I'm missing something...

HellRiverSig3_stretch.png

Is it just me, or is the feather effect excactly like gaussian blur (1 px)? I tested this with a white dot (1x1), used the both effects on the identical dots, and got identical results. The test came up with the same results with a green dot (2x2). I think I'm missing something...
I haven't tested it yet, but reading Boltbait's description it just blurs around the edges of an object--that is, where the object goes from colored-in pixels to a transparent background.

Read his thread in the plugins forum.

You missed the fact that it only blurs around the edges of an object.

Yes, it does a Gaussian Blur (1) on the layer, BUT it only blurs pixels that are on the edges--that is, pixels that are next to a transparent pixel. And, it blurs transparent pixels.

So, since it does not blur the entire image, you do not lose detail in your main objects, only the edges.

Not with the DLL that I made. I don't think its possible to have a UI with Codelab.

But, yes, if you had the source code, you could change it to Blur(2) for example.

If you like, I could ask Illnab1024 to put a UI on it and make the blur radius adjustable for either 1 (default) or 2.

I don't think going beyond 2 would be useful.

What do you think?

Well, I played around with this using both large and small images. Gaussian Blur (1) is a little too small, but Gaussian Blur (2) is just about right. Going beyond 2, even on really large images, didn't really make that much of a positive difference--remember, the whole point is to just soften the edges slightly.

Anyway, I made a change to my code to use 2 instead of 1 and posted up the revised DLL.