Scale layer and retain aspect ratio

illgble

Short version: how do you scale a layer while retaining aspect ratio?

Longer version: I see I can select within a layer and then drag one of the corner handles and resize that layer. But unless I manage to drag perfectly, the aspect ratio of my selection gets distorted as well. Is there a way to lock the aspect ratio while I'm scaling? Or is there a way to scale a layer using a dialog where I just give it the scaling percentage?

Thanks!

Copy the layer, and paste it in another blank image, and crop to the selection.

Than go to image, resize, and make sure the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" box is checked. Than paste into the original image.

"The truth is just an excuse for having a lack of imagination."

Photobucket sucks!

Short version: how do you scale a layer while retaining aspect ratio?

Longer version: I see I can select within a layer and then drag one of the corner handles and resize that layer. But unless I manage to drag perfectly, the aspect ratio of my selection gets distorted as well. Is there a way to lock the aspect ratio while I'm scaling? Or is there a way to scale a layer using a dialog where I just give it the scaling percentage?

Thanks!

Just hold down the Shift key when resizing by using the corner handles.

Perfect. I promise I will now Read The Manual. I've been trying to move my photo editing off my Mac (using Pixelmator - great little editor) onto Windows. I've looked through so many editors I can't even believe it. I looked at Paint.Net early on but it looked underpowered (I was wrong). I went on to look at PhotoPlus, Photo-Brush, Pixel, PhotoLine, Pixopedia, LView Pro, Ultimate Paint, Fotografix, PhotoFiltre, Photo Pos Pro, and NeoPaint. I also, of course, looked PaintShop and Photoshop, both of which want you to sign up for an account before you can even do an eval - no thank you. And I looked at Gimp, but multi-platform is always clunky. I remembered how nice and simple Paint.Net looked, so I decided to give it another look. I'm impressed. It was one of the first I looked at and I wasn't being as thorough at that time because I didn't expect my search to take weeks. But it seems to do it all, simply and powerfully.

I'll definitely be sending my donation along shortly.

Thanks for a great app!