Stargate SG-1-Style Hyperspace

Mr.Bobert

First tut, so I apologize if I do something wrong.

We'll be creating a Stargate SG-1-ish Hyperspace funnel thing, that looks like this:
Hyperspace-1.jpg

First, open a new canvas, whatever size you want, really. I use the same size as my monitor's resolution, 1280x800.

Next, render some clouds on their default settings.
1-Clouds.jpg

After you have your clouds, pencil sketch them. (Effects-Artistic-Pencil Sketch) Set tip size and range both to 20.
2-Pencil.jpg

Next, run Zoom Blur. (Effects-Blurs-Zoom Blur) Don't use Zoom Blur Deluxe; It doesn't leave the picture as... patchy as the stock one.
3-Zoom.jpg

Now colorize it however you wish. I use a combination of Curves and Hue/Saturation. In Stargate, the colors of Hyperspace vary from season to season; purple, blue, green... I like purple the best.
4-Curves.jpg
5-HueSaturation.jpg
6-HueSaturation.jpg

Once you have your desired colors, create a new layer, and hide the first one. Move the new one to the bottom, and paint it black. Next, add some stars with Effects-Noise-Add Noise. I use the settings of Intensity-100, Color Saturation-0, Coverage-3.11.
7-Stars-1.jpg

Next we'll run Zoom Blur again, but at a much lower setting of 3.
8-Starzoom.jpg

Now unhide the hyperspace layer and set the blendmode to Glow, and you're done.

9-Finished-1.jpg
(Click to enlarge)

Wording/grammar edit 2/21/14 — I sounded like a bloody idiot four years ago.

Edited by Mr.Bobert

"Sir, we're surrounded!" "Excellent, we can attack from any direction."
1.png2.png3.png4.png

post-75824-127620655273_thumb.jpg

^heres my result, but intsead of using Hue/Saturation i used ColourBalance

scaled.php?server=850&filename=falloutsig.jpg&res=medium

Multicectipy

Nice, both of you. lol, Hexratt, reminds me of one of mine :P

TIEINHYPERSPACE-1-1.jpg

I tried to make it look like the light from hyperspace was sorta reflecting off'a the hull, and also tried to put a reflection of hyperspace in the cockpit viewport. Had some trouble with that part. But meh, I was just messin' around, having some fun :P

"Sir, we're surrounded!" "Excellent, we can attack from any direction."
1.png2.png3.png4.png

• 4 weeks later...

To Mr. Bobert,

For your creative tutorial and for being a Star Gate fan, I do hereby with great honor and gratitude award to you this Star Gate watch with an unfinished band, symbolizing that our journey is not yet complete. We have a long ways to go. May your voyage always bring you safe back home.

(Drum rolls)

thumb_sgwatchgold.png

Edited by hexratt
sighhexratt1.jpg