Convert image to Transparent background

fstieglitz

Hello. I searched this forum (and probably missed it) but I could not find the correct method, so i will go ahead and ask.

A 3rd party provided me a PNG file of a hand-drawn image with a white background.

What is the best way to convert this image so that all the white areas are really transparent?

Many thanks.

use the Magic Wand :MagicWandTool: to select the white areas and then delete :)

This will likely result in jaggies and stray almost-but-not-quite-white pixels around the edges of the lines.

Search the Tutorials forum for things relating to Alpha Mask(ing) for a cleaner solution.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I use the Bucket (fill) with a full transparent color. 

You have to change the tool parameters from "Normal blend" to "Overwrite" in advance, or you won't see any effect. 

You can access the parameters after choosing the bucket. Press the little chemical bottle icon, in the right to the fill tolerance slider.

AlphaSpace plugin, or probably more accurate for your needs is the

Isolate Lineart plugin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

You have to change the tool parameters from "Normal blend" to "Overwrite" in advance, or you won't see any effect.

You can access the parameters after choosing the bucket. Press the little chemical bottle icon, in the right to the fill tolerance slider.

How do you change the Bucket to Transparent color?

How do you make the Bucker Transparent color?

On the Color Window, click the More button.

The Transparency - Alpha slider is the one that affects the transparency of the currently selected color. 255 = fully opaque, 0 = fully transparent.

Note that transparency is indicated by the grey & white checkerboard pattern.

• 4 months later...

This worked for me, thanks!

This thread has been revived twice now. Let's put a stake through it's heart and let it die....,

<locked - Rule #11>