Deselect greyed out

vere

Hi

Sorry but I have just downloaded Paint.NET and had a look - looks great. BUT, to you the easiest question - the Deselect button is greyed out. I select say a rectangle but how do I deselect it? The button is greyed out and the Ctrl+D doesn't work.

Have tried this forum, Google, all the keyboard keys, Paint.net helps etc. etc. This is my last resort to what must be the simplest of all questions.

Frustrated

Roger

What steps specifically do you use to select a rectangle, for example?

-------------------------

I might open Paint.NET, click the top left icon in the Tools window,

go mouse-button down on the canvas, drag at a diagonal and

release the mouse-button.

This will create a rectangular selection.

When you do this, is the deselect button grayed-out, etc.?

Edited by Sarkut

What steps specifically do you use to select a rectangle, for example?

-------------------------

I might open Paint.NET, click the top left icon in the Tools window,

go mouse-button down on the canvas, drag at a diagonal and

release the mouse-button.

This will create a rectangular selection.

When you do this, is the deselect button grayed-out, etc.?

Opening a fresh copy of Paint.NET v3.5.5 in Windows XP SP3, the Deselect button is greyed out and greyed out in Edit Menu.

I select the rectangle (2nd up on the left) on the Tools Palette and draw a rectangle.

The Deselect Button remains greyed out and the Deselect in the Edit Menu remains.

If I want to now delete this rectangle I can't because I can't select it to delete it.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I agree, I am missing a very small undocumented step.

Attached is the screen after I have selected the rectangle and drawn it.

post-75985-127583125356_thumb.jpg

Bingo. Yes, Deselect now becomes available and I can get rid of the (dotted lined) rectangle.

But now, how do I delete the rectangle that was on the screen I sent you? I cannot select it to delete it !!

Also, if I enter text then something else, and now want to amend the text again, how do I do it?

Sorry to be such a pain, but I must be missing something that is very fundamental.

To delete the rectangle you already drew, you have a few options:

1.) Select the rectangle using any of the selection tools (pdn35icons.RectangleSelectToolIcon.pngpdn35icons.EllipseSelectToolIcon.pngpdn35icons.LassoSelectToolIcon.pngpdn35icons.MagicWandToolIcon.png) and press delete on your keyboard.

2.) Carefully erase the rectangle using the eraser (pdn35icons.EraserToolIcon.png).

3.) If you haven't already saved and closed you image, press undo as necessary.

And if you want to change the text, you have to remove it with one of the above methods and then type it again. It is suggested that you put text on a separate layer so it can be easily removed or changed.

Tried the above and yes they do work. I would have to get used to the layering and things.

Very many thanks for all your help (on a Sunday) - most appreciated.

I think that I need some software which is far less complicated/complex. All I want to do is write some text "nicely" then output it in JPG format so that I can include it in my JPG picture slide show. Think I will have to resort to PowerPoint or, dare I say it, MS Paint.

Thanks to you and all at Paint.Net. Keep up the good work - excellent product.

Regards

Roger