White Background Removal - Preserve Transparency - 2 steps!

csm725

Have you ever had an image with text that you wanted to put on the web, but it looked weird on your blue background? Maybe it looked something like this:

remove1.png

Well, we can make it look like this:

remove2.png

Notice how some transparency is preserved and how it blends in with the background.

You will need to download ONE plugin, Alpha Mask:

Well, first you open your image:

removet1.png

Step one, Select All (Ctrl-A) and Copy (Ctrl-C).

Step two, Effects > Alpha Mask with the following settings*:

Mask File - Choose which file to use as a mask. Here, we won't be choosing an image, but rather using the image on our clipboard.

Invert Mask ✓ - This inverts the color of your mask. Remember white is kept and black is discarded.

Mix Alpha ✓ - This ensures that transparency is kept (that is why the shadow blends in with the background)

Paste From Clipboard ✓ - Rather than using a pre-saved image, the plugin will use whatever you have on your clipboard, which is, in this case, the image.

remove4.png

OPTIONAL: Duplicate the layer and merge down for a darker shadow. See

this post for some more tips. (Thanks Sarkut!)

I encourage you to read all of the comments for alternative ways to do this.

Also, set the logo to Multiply blend mode for a darker shadow.

The result:

remover1.png

#tut725

*Thank you for cutting down my tut to two steps, pipp92.

**Not too simple, is it? (Mods)

Edited by csm725

More tips.

When done set blend mode to Multiply.

This will give a shadow that is a black shade of the background color,

rather than a whitish gray tone.

Duplicate layers for a darker shadow.

You could change the title to "One-Step".

Use the Grim Color Reaper plugin, set to white.

Reduce Color Tolerance to around .60

• 1 year later...

No, I would like for users to see alternative ways to doing this.

Hi Everybody,

I am a complete novice and my question might sound silly.

I am trying to make a desktop icon. And I get it with transparent background using both of the suggested here methods.

The problem is that I can see two lines from the canvas. The lower and right side of the canvas can be seen as two tiny black lines.

I will appreciate any suggestion.

• 3 months later...

pretty basic tutorial, but I KNOW its useful for a lot of people, thanks for sharing mate.

I will start creating a few of these my self here.

I downloaded the alpha mask, how do I get paint.net to access it?

I have signatures I need to drop onto letter head with background, so do not want white boxes!

Edited by scotterill

first, read through the alpha mask thread: HERE. If you have questions on the plugin's usage, post in that thread.

If you're having trouble with installation, try this thread: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/forum/36-how-to-install-pluginsgeneral-plugin-troubleshooting/

• 11 months later...

Hi, I'm very new to this but I tried this background removal with a photo and it didn't work. When I insert the photo into my document the white background is still there. What am I doing wrong?

Only I could mess up a 2 step process...

Tim

Hi Tim, welcome to the forum :)

In order to retain the transparency you will need to save it as a .png file.

ZXCBOoZ.png

• 3 months later...

then you need to update it ;) click on the top most download in this thread http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=1854

Sorry but another question. I just need to replace the old Alpha mask with the new Alpha mask in the folder, right?.

Edited by Copy Cat Master

If it has the exact same name as the previous version, you will be informed that it - exists and would you like to overwrite it - click on yes (or OK) and it will be replaced. Just remember before you do install the plugin to - right click the dll  > properties > unblock.

swIFX9v.png

If it has the exact same name as the previous version, you will be informed that it - exists and would you like to overwrite it - click on yes (or OK) and it will be replaced. Just remember before you do install the plugin to - right click the dll  > properties > unblock.

Ok, thank you for helping.

• 3 months later...

I am having trouble getting this working, I have a file which has a white background but it's converting a lite grey inside the image also (which I admit, does touch the white)  - the image is specifically only 8 colours, it's been "cartoonized" for lack of a better word.

How can I set a transparency ONLY on the pure white (is that 0,0,0??)