Images pasted from remote desktop are shifted 6 pixels right

New forum member here - apologies if I'm not posting this in the right place, or in the right way.

I appear to be experiencing a minor bug in Paint.NET v3.5.5 (Final Release build 3.55.3767.28608), on Windows XP SP3 32-bit.

Images I capture (using Ctrl+Alt+Prt Scr) from a remote desktop connection, and then paste into Paint.NET appear to be shifted about six pixels to the right, and the part of the image which should have been a vertical strip six pixels wide along the right hand edge is being drawn along the left hand edge. Here's an example:

83363451.png

This doesn't happen when I take a screenshot in the exact same way but from a widow on my local machine - these render fine:

63439537.png

It also doesn't happen when I take a screenshot from a remote desktop window, and paste it into the regular Windows Paint (MSPaint):

12863240.png

Has this been seen before? Could I be doing something wrong, or does it look like a new bug?

Kind regards,

David Stern

Oh and I should add I'm planning to fix this for Paint.NET v4. This seems to be a bug in WinForms, so I just need to go direct to the Win32 API instead.

Bit of trivia ... BMP bitmaps, which is what the clipboard uses by convention, are stored upside down*. You'll notice that at the bottom left of the image you pasted, there is a few pixels of giberrish. That's actually part of the BMP file format's header.

* at least, upside down with respect to traditional "memory-correct" row ordering

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Oh and I should add I'm planning to fix this for Paint.NET v4. This seems to be a bug in WinForms, so I just need to go direct to the Win32 API instead.

Bit of trivia ... BMP bitmaps, which is what the clipboard uses by convention, are stored upside down*. You'll notice that at the bottom left of the image you pasted, there is a few pixels of giberrish. That's actually part of the BMP file format's header.

* at least, upside down with respect to traditional "memory-correct" row ordering

That's wonderful Rick - many thanks for replying! And I'd not noticed those gibberish pixels before, but absolutely, I see them now. Every day's a schoolday!

Kind regards,

David

• 6 years later...

Sorry for necro.

For any developers who stumble across this post in future with a similar problem, getting image from clipboard using code on the following blog works around .NET winforms Clipboard.GetImage issue which wraps pixels from the right to the left of the pasted image.

https://www.thomaslevesque.com/2009/02/05/wpf-paste-an-image-from-the-clipboard/