How to Install Plugins ×

Shadow Effect Plugin - Updated for 4.0+ on 2015-03-23

ryanr23

CC try duplicating your text layer and change the lower one to a black color. Then use the Rotate/zoom tool to get the angle, you might have to feather it a bit first, and then adjust the transparency until it looks good to you. If you need it to stretch a bit use the rectangular select tool, move selection and move pixels tool.  Piece of cake.   ;)

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

Thank you everyone for the help.

And thanks Midora for the plugin. I tried it and although I do like the shadow it makes, you were right, it doesn't make what I'm looking for. It's functionality is very limited. Either way, I'm always happy to see old plugins get updated for paint.net 4.0, so thank you very much for your efforts. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hmm.. This plug-in doesn't seem to be working anymore. :(

Edited by Chuck38

"What's the good of living if you don't try a few things?" -Charles M Schulz

Did you read the notes coded in RED in the first post? ;)

@midora's new version works like a charm.

Yes, I did. But the link just took me to Post #46 of this thread.

"What's the good of living if you don't try a few things?" -Charles M Schulz

Where you can find the link to the updated plugin.

I've added the attachment to the first post.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Welcome back Ryan! :D

Go to the first post in this thread.  

Click the Edit link at the foot of the first post.  

The editing window will appear.  

At the bottom of the editing window click the button Use Full Editor.  

The Full Editor shows the thread title in a text box.  Simply overwrite it.  Don't forget to save your modifications.

Thanks for being willing to work on this again. I've taken some time to play with this, and I've noticed that this new version is significantly slower than the previous one (midora's recompiled build of v1.1). I hope you find out where the bottle neck is coming from.

Edited by toe_head2001

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

I just profiled both plugins and found that retrieving the property value from the token in the render loop is slowing the operation down significantly.  Pull those out of the loop and it runs significantly faster.  I'll get that updated and post a new version soon.

• Upvote 2

Ah, that would explain it... fetching the tokens for each and every pixel. Now I know why CodeLab assigns variables for the tokens outside the loop; I thought it was just to make the code neat and tidy. :roll:

Edited by toe_head2001

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

I think it must depend on your PC , as I find the rendering quite slow. I make a small adjustment and have to wait for the plugin to do its stuff before moving on. But I only have integrated graphics and not a dedicated graphics card which I am sure would be faster..

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

I think it must depend on your PC , as I find the rendering quite slow. I make a small adjustment and have to wait for the plugin to do its stuff before moving on. But I only have integrated graphics and not a dedicated graphics card which I am sure would be faster..

If you think it is slow now, you should have seen the previous revision. This one is approximately 7x faster... give or take.

Yes, it does depend on your computer; specifically the CPU.

Does the GPU hardware acceleration in paint.net v4 apply to effect plugins? I thought it was just for the Tools.

bp-sig.png

Can you check the version of ShadowEffect.dll by right clicking and going to the Details Tab?  I believe the version should be 1.2.0.30446.  If it's something else, you might see if you have the wrong copy.

Also, what kind of computer (CPU?) do you have?

I'm pretty sure GPU performance doesn't have any affect on this, unless there's some magic going on that I'm unaware of.

ryanr23! Thank you very much for the plugin and for this sharing, and for your effort.  ijpyz4dh.gif

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

Goonfella, you definitely have the original "slower" version of the v1.2 plugin.  Can you delete that and download again and see if that speed things up?  Your CPU should be plenty fast enough.

Also, I just committed some code to add "Diffusion Factor" as another user configurable property for the effect.  This affects how "fuzzy" the shadow gets.  If you have any feedback on the concept, let me know and/or take a look at the updated code on GitHub before I build a new version for download.  Thanks!

Downloaded the updated one and it is much faster. Thanks. ;)

As far as the Diffusion Factor is concerned, I assume that is just the opacity setting. Does not really alter the fuzziness of the shadow.

Edited by Goonfella

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

As far as the Diffusion Factor is concerned, I assume that is just the opacity setting. Does not really alter the fuzziness of the shadow.

The 'Diffusion Factor' option affects the amount of blur that gets applied to the shadow. You'll have to do a compile yourself if you want to try it; he hasn't released a binary yet.

Also, I just committed some code to add "Diffusion Factor" as another user configurable property for the effect.  This affects how "fuzzy" the shadow gets.  If you have any feedback on the concept, let me know and/or take a look at the updated code on GitHub before I build a new version for download.  Thanks!

It works as expected, and I like that the default value is the same as the one that was hardcoded in the previous version.

The effect dialog may look better if you moved 'Diffusion Factor' directly under 'Opacity', but that's my subjective opinion.

Edited by toe_head2001

bp-sig.png

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am new to paint.net and trying to create a shadow underneath a teddy bear that is sitting, so it is not a drop shadow but just a regular small shadow on the bottom of the bear. Is it possible to change the size of the shadow created by this plugin? I was able to move it successfully but the shadow is too big and makes is basically still look like a drop shadow.

Thanks for your help.