Sign in to follow this  
L3ron

PDN OpenSearch Custom Toolbar Search

L3ron    0

Hello people,

I've written a short xml to add the great Paint.NET Search Engine by Google to your Firefox or Internet Explorer toolbar.

Maybe this will avoid some stupid topics in the forums ;-)

DUE TO PROBLEMS WITH WEBHOSTER I MOVED THE SITE, ITS AVAILIBLE NOW!

Click here to get to the tutorial site!

An extra site is neccassary due to the xml.

@http://getpaint.net admins:

With this text you can add the option to add the search on every site if you post it between the html haed-tags.

<link rel="search" type="application/opensearchdescription+xml" title="Paint.NET Search" href="[LINK TO XML SCRIPT]" />

Any comments? :mrgreen:

BTW: Please post field reports with Versions of IE and Firefox you use!

Edited by L3ron

L3ron    0

interesting, I love it!

Yeah, me too ;)

I really was annoyed about flood control in forums build in search. And when I got to know that searchpaint.net also searches in the forums, I thought that it would be wonderful if there would be a toolbar-search-engine :)

L3ron    0

Don't you need authorization for this sort of thing ? Just wondering :/

Authorisation to create a "plugin" that links to the Paint.NET search?

Well, I do not think so. I didi not change any code etc.

csm725    7

Cool, but I am an Opera user, I just hit Ctrl-F12, go to 'Search', add a field name and a keyword, add in the getpaint.net/search url with '%s' as the search, and voila!

percentsshow.png

Cool, but I am an Opera user, I just hit Ctrl-F12, go to 'Search', add a field name and a keyword, add in the getpaint.net/search url with '%s' as the search, and voila!

It's been a while since I used Opera, but I'm pretty sure you can just right-click in the Search text box for a form - there should be an option to save a search in the context menu that will pull the send-to URL and automatically insert the wildcard string character in the right place. Firefox has that as well, named "Add a Keyword for this Search".

Still, searches saved via the dynamic bookmark method are accessed through the URL bar, and with many browsers still sticking with dual-input fields - one for URLs and one for searches - it's nice to have one that hooks into the dedicated Search box as well.

Rick Brewster    825

Don't you need authorization for this sort of thing ? Just wondering :/

Seems fine to me.

L3ron, you may want to publish this in the Plugin Developer's Section until everything is ironed out. One of us mods can move this thread over there.

csm725    7

It's been a while since I used Opera, but I'm pretty sure you can just right-click in the Search text box for a form - there should be an option to save a search in the context menu that will pull the send-to URL and automatically insert the wildcard string character in the right place. Firefox has that as well, named "Add a Keyword for this Search".

Still, searches saved via the dynamic bookmark method are accessed through the URL bar, and with many browsers still sticking with dual-input fields - one for URLs and one for searches - it's nice to have one that hooks into the dedicated Search box as well.

*facepalm*

I can just right-click and click 'Create Search'...

Thanks for the tip! BTW what browser do you use?

L3ron    0

Seems fine to me.

L3ron, you may want to publish this in the Plugin Developer's Section until everything is ironed out. One of us mods can move this thread over there.

Mh, maybe this is a good idea althought this isn't a PDN-plugin.

Thanks for the tip! BTW what browser do you use?

Interesting question. I'm using Firefox 3, but installed are also IE 8, Google Chrome, Safari and Opera in which I test websites etc. ;)

@admins:

Is ther any counter implied to the site/forums in which you can see what browser the visitors are using? (Such as ChCounter)

Rick Brewster    825

Mh, maybe this is a good idea althought this isn't a PDN-plugin.

No but that section of the forum is also used for this type of stuff.

Moved

L3ron    0

@http://getpaint.net admins:

With this text you can add the option to add the search on every site if you post it between the html haed-tags.

<link rel="search" type="application/opensearchdescription+xml" title="Paint.NET Search" href="[LINK TO XML SCRIPT]" />

So, what about? Wouldn't this be nice. I think so :D Who is the one who is the webmaster here?