Misc Contest VIII: The winner is...

Simon Brown

It brings you to stock exchange when you click on it, than it says the real image is 4272 x 2848 pixels, but when I click for the larger image, it asks me to sign up.

Then, if you go back, there's a download, and the same thing happens when you click on that.

?

"The truth is just an excuse for having a lack of imagination."

Photobucket sucks!

Instead, could I just make a random account, post the username and password for everyone to use, so everyone doesn't have to make one?

OR...

Make an account, than post the image in full size?

Edited by himself22

"The truth is just an excuse for having a lack of imagination."

Photobucket sucks!

Cool idea Simon, but what happened to the last one? The poll would not let you see the vote count.

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

You won and pdnnoob came second.

Oh OK, cool. I didn't expect that. :| Thanks ! And thanks to everyone who voted for me. :D

So we have to sign up for this stock photo service? Will they bug me like Facebook does and fill up my inbox with worthless notifications?

They don't do that to me, although it's a good idea to keep a spam account if you use webmail and can't easily create rules to move emails to other folders.

KaHuc.png

Since some people don't want to register on the stock site i've added an alternative pair from Wikimedia Commons.

KaHuc.png

They don't do that to me, although it's a good idea to keep a spam account if you use webmail and can't easily create rules to move emails to other folders.

Thanks Simon. Beautiful images ! It will be hard to decide which to use. This should be a lot of fun !

You won and pdnnoob came second.

Gaahh!! darn you possum! your pleasant personality must be how you are winning all the time.

jk. I'm going to win this time tho...just watch >.< (lol...watch me fail XD)

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Gaahh!! darn you possum! your pleasant personality must be how you are winning all the time.

jk. I'm going to win this time tho...just watch >.< (lol...watch me fail XD)

Ah, that would explain why nobody likes me. ;) I actually thought your piece was better than mine. I had a similar idea to do something like what you did, but you did your's so well I had to take an alternate path. I really liked what you did on your entry. The way you blended the dragon's head onto the chess piece was excellent. Could you show me how you did that? It looked like it was made that way. Brilliant, really!

Ah, that would explain why nobody likes me. ;) I actually thought your piece was better than mine. I had a similar idea to do something like what you did, but you did your's so well I had to take an alternate path. I really liked what you did on your entry. The way you blended the dragon's head onto the chess piece was excellent. Could you show me how you did that? It looked like it was made that way. Brilliant, really!

haha...you lucked out. I have absolutely no time to win this competition with finals coming up :(

A short tutorial on the dragon head:

1. mess with brightness and contrast. dragon head to black and white. curves/other color modifiers to change color. mess with contrast, saturation, and brightness to make the two pieces similar in brightness and contrast. Color is just to make this easier. we perfect it later.

2. Adjust transparency of dragon head layer temporarily to make it easier to move to just where you want it. Erase background with eraser (change transparency to 8 in "more" box on color palette. seems more like soft brush that way. less hard edges)

3. add new layers. one for highlights and another for shadows. draw in shadows and highlights on corresponding layers and blur a bit.

4. clone small bits of wood onto a different layer and blend it with dragon head to give it a little bit of wood texture.

5. set all to black and white and adjust color of all.

Done! you have a dragon-headed chess piece.

I think what people really liked about your pic was the board...that was a pretty realistic texture you put on it ^^

EDIT: PS I like the chromy text you used in your new sig...wonder how you did it XP I can't believe you still use that tutorial...that was made...a year ago? two years?

Edited by pdnnoob

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

haha...you lucked out. I have absolutely no time to win this competition with finals coming up :(

A short tutorial on the dragon head:

1. mess with brightness and contrast. dragon head to black and white. curves/other color modifiers to change color. mess with contrast, saturation, and brightness to make the two pieces similar in brightness and contrast. Color is just to make this easier. we perfect it later.

2. Adjust transparency of dragon head layer temporarily to make it easier to move to just where you want it. Erase background with eraser (change transparency to 8 in "more" box on color palette. seems more like soft brush that way. less hard edges)

3. add new layers. one for highlights and another for shadows. draw in shadows and highlights on corresponding layers and blur a bit.

4. clone small bits of wood onto a different layer and blend it with dragon head to give it a little bit of wood texture.

5. set all to black and white and adjust color of all.

Done! you have a dragon-headed chess piece.

I think what people really liked about your pic was the board...that was a pretty realistic texture you put on it ^^

EDIT: PS I like the chromy text you used in your new sig...wonder how you did it XP I can't believe you still use that tutorial...that was made...a year ago? two years?

Wow thanks for the mini-tut ! I really liked that piece. Well done !

Yes I did luck out. :D I guess it just shows that being lucky is sometimes better than being good. I'm usually not either. :lol: Thanks for the compliment on the text in the sig. No it's not the old Chrome Text effect you wrote the tut on, it's something I pieced together from other people's ideas. It is pretty though. I do still use your technique though. It has amazing results if you expand it out and use multiple layers and blend modes.

I had what I thought was a great idea for this comp, but someone must have also thought it was a great idea and got there prior to me even getting started. Oh well, back to the drawing board (yes, pun intended). Maybe I'll luck out again ! :lol:

I guess it just shows that being lucky is sometimes better than being good. I'm usually not either.
I must say I totally disagree. You just got lucky and, from your perspective, you got lucky on the chess competition. There are quite a few people on this forum (including me) that would say you are good too. That floor texture you made was a work of art (and that's just one example...)

Are you sure you didn't use bevel and curves on that text? It really really looks like you did, but if you say you didn't, meh. It rocks either way ;)

You don't always have to use Curves for chrome. Alpha Displacement and Blend Modes can do the job too ... even XOR gives an interesting result.

I never congratulated you Possum' ... so congratz ... although personally, I think it would have looked better if you'd unchecked Fade Out on the Trail plug-in ... but that's just me.

An afterthought ... I think I've only used Curves about 10 times in 2 years, I'll have to play with it more ...

Yeah, that was the very first time I used it. I would have looked better with that off and then feathered.

wow...about every possible thing you could make from this comp has been done o.o no entry from me even with my long weekend XP

PS long-weekend=short break on weekend. Schools have a weird way of reasoning. Apparently, they think calling this a break will make kids forget everything they learned...

Edited by pdnnoob

Just a heads up - don't waste a vote on me. All competition entires have been withdrawn.

Do you want me to remove you from the poll?

KaHuc.png