Rotating Images Turn Blurry?!

murray644

Hi,

Every time I rotate images or text they shrink and become blurry! I have been using Gimp to rotate them and then re-opening in paint.net and it's getting a bit annoying if anyone could tell me how to fix this I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Emily

You could always just go to effects-photo-sharpen.

And by the way, if you ever need to go into another program to edit your image, than just use That Other App

"The truth is just an excuse for having a lack of imagination."

Photobucket sucks!

Is there a reason why you don't rotate

them in Paint.NET instead of using GIMP?

I don't rotate them in Paint.net because they look horrible after I rotate them- they shrink to a smaller size and become blurry! I want to rotate them in Paint.net, that's what i am trying to find out, if there is a better way, a plug-in, something that makes it easier to where I don't have to fix the image after I rotate it like in Photoshop and Gimp I rotate it and it stays the same size and does not become blurry, I want to do that here?

You could always just go to effects-photo-sharpen.

And by the way, if you ever need to go into another program to edit your image, than just use That Other App

I havn't tried effects-photo-sharpen, I'll try that but what about the image shrinking and if there is no extra room around the image it cuts off the excess when rotated?

I'll use that download, thanks, that will make it easier if I still have to use other software to rotate!

Does Layers > Rotate/Zoom cause these kind of problems?

Ctrl + Shift + Z

Edited by Sarkut

if there is no extra room around the image it cuts off the excess when rotated?

Expand the canvas before rotating.

Edited by Sarkut

Does Layers > Rotate/Zoom cause these kind of problems?

Ctrl + Shift + Z

Yes, I have tried it a dozen times and no matter what I do it does this.

I understand the part about the excess getting cut off if the canvas isn't expanded first.

I don't get any shrinkage when rotating.

What's that about?

Expand the canvas before rotating.

I do but for some reason I cant figure out how to expand the canvas and have excess be transparent?

I understand the part about the excess getting cut off if the canvas isn't expanded first.

I don't get any shrinkage when rotating.

What's that about?

I don't know, weird! I always have to enlarge my images so that when I rotate them they will be the size I want because it makes them smaller, it has been a pain! I wonder if I don't have something set up right? Maybe I should remove it and re-install?

I cant figure out how to expand the canvas and have excess be transparent?

With single-layer images, before you resize the canvas, duplicate the layer.

After resizing the canvas, delete the bottom layer.

Edited by Sarkut

I don't know, weird! I always have to enlarge my images so that when I rotate them they will be the size I want because it makes them smaller, it has been a pain! I wonder if I don't have something set up right? Maybe I should remove it and re-install?

When using Layers > Rotate/Zoom for this only the "Angle:" setting should be anything other than zero.

Is that different, the way you've been doing it?

I do but for some reason I cant figure out how to expand the canvas and have excess be transparent?

I think you're trying to use "Image Size" to increase the size of the canvas, which will increase the size of the image contained as well. Instead, use "Canvas Size", which will expand the borders of the image without stretching any pixels themselves.

Edited by Crimson

Rotating a selection, using the right mouse button and the

Move Selected Pixels tool :MoveTool:, is the other built-in way to rotate something.

It has a toolbar option of choosing between "Smooth" or "Pixelated".

With either choice there is distortion when rotating, but the distortion

is of a distinctly different character depending on which option is chosen.

Pixels are square. Images are rectangular. You can't rotate something without losing quality, unless it's by an increment of 90 degrees.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I think you're trying to use "Image Size" to increase the size of the canvas, which will increase the size of the image contained as well. Instead, use "Canvas Size", which will expand the borders of the image without stretching any pixels themselves.

No, this part is fine. I expand the canvas size and not the image but the expansion is whatever background color I am using and I just want it to always be transparent. Instead I have to expand the canvas size and then erase the excess (the part I just expanded).

Pixels are square. Images are rectangular. You can't rotate something without losing quality, unless it's by an increment of 90 degrees.

So basically, no matter what, the image will not remain the same once rotated?

Rotating a selection, using the right mouse button and the

Move Selected Pixels tool :MoveTool:, is the other built-in way to rotate something.

It has a toolbar option of choosing between "Smooth" or "Pixelated".

With either choice there is distortion when rotating, but the distortion

is of a distinctly different character depending on which option is chosen.

I will try this. I tried using effects-photo-sharpen and it did make the image not as blurry but the image was still not the same as the original.

When using Layers > Rotate/Zoom for this only the "Angle:" setting should be anything other than zero.

Is that different, the way you've been doing it?

Hmmm, interesting! I just changed it and now my images aren't shrinking so that's great- thank you so much! :)

Glad to help. :)

I expand the canvas size and not the image but the expansion is whatever background color I am using and I just want it to always be transparent. Instead I have to expand the canvas size and then erase the excess (the part I just expanded).

Previous Post

Edited by Sarkut

• 4 years later...

The Solution... :OOOOOOOOO

Ok, so some of you are worried because when you copy, paste, and flip or rotate a design in paint.net, the picture shrinks and or becomes blurry...

I was experimenting in paint.net and this exact thing happened to me. What I did to fix it was...;

Copy and paste a design, and then I located the tab where it says "Quality". Change it to "Pixelated". Then (Whatever you did. Rotate or flip it. I flipped mine) it. I know what you are thinking. "Wouldn't Pixelated be blurry? Smooth would seem non-pixelated..." Yea, crazy stuff, right? But anyways, that's how you fix it. So I hoped this helped..

This topic is FOUR YEARS OLD. Please don't reply to old topics - let them rest in peace ;)

<closed>