side by side pics

I am just trying to get a before and after look of some renovations that I'm helping with. The previous instructions were soooo vague, as to what to do, they were unhelpful for someone who doesn't work with this program everyday. Telling someone, "Your canvas will need to be large enough to accomodate both images side-by-side", does nothing, except point out the obvious. Closing a post because it's "too old" does nothing but deny people the benefit of help that's already been posted.

MY point is this. HOW do you get a pic on one side, and another pic on the other side? The instructions on the denied post are TOO vague because not all of us use this program every single day. I've read thru the help tutorials also. I've tried to "resize" my canvas to "2x the width" as I was told to do, and it didn't work. Do I leave the aspect ratio intact? Do I just type in the width in the pixels dimensions and let the system adjust the width accordingly? Do I reposition the placement of the pic to the center-left for the "before" shot, and the opposite for the "after" one?

When I try and utilize the information that has been closed due to age, I get a small pic in the top left of my canvas, and a small pic in the top right of my canvas. If I "merge" these together, what am I supposed to do with the left-over canvas at the bottom? How do I make this all "appear" to be roughly the same size as the original pics were, instead of two very miniaturized ones?

Thanks very much for your help, and I'm sorry if this is too naive or dumb sounding for everyone else.

"Beer is Proof That God Loves Us, And Wants Us To Be Happy!" - Ben Franklin

In Paint.NET's top menu:

Image > Canvas Size

Make the canvas big enough to fit both images side-by-side.

Next:

Layers > Import From File...

Import the before picture, then import the after picture.

Move the after picture to the right.

Save.

Try this out, if you need clarification, just ask.

=================================================

This was the , probably too vague, response I was typing

while the topic was being locked.

What's the next step you'd like to be clarified?

---------------------------------

Resizing canvas will be based on pixel dimensions, not inches or cm.

Pixel dimensions don't vary with Dots-per-Inch settings.

-------------------------------------

Do not leave aspect ratio intact.

------------------------------------

Left-over canvas? - Make a rectangular selection

around what you want to keep,then:

Image > Crop To Selection

How do I make this all "appear" to be roughly the same size as the original pics were, instead of two very miniaturized ones?

It may be their size only appears small relative to the oversize canvas.

In any event, this is available:

Image > Resize

===============================================

OK, I'm done. :)

Time to jump in with any remaining questions.

Edited by Sarkut

As expected Sarkut, You've come through AGAIN! I was a little thrown off at first because I was resizing my canvas from it's normal 800 pixels to 1600. Then when I'd open MY pic, everything would re-size to 2200. When I realized that my pics were just larger, I started over, and resized my canvas at 4400. After a little editing, this is what I've come up with:

House1.jpg

Thanks again for your help, and most of all your patience and time! I'm certain that dealing with newbs on a daily basis takes a LOT of both.....

P.S. I did however just find out that when I "move" the pic, a "finish pixels" step performs, and then all of my editing choices are ended. It's as though the pic has been saved, and is complete. Any thoughts on this aspect would be appreciated.

Edited by odeho19

I'm doing this job sort of "pro bono", in return for time-share. If you're ever planning a trip up to near Brainerd, MN, I can probably hook you up!

I am just trying to get a before and after look of some renovations that I'm helping with. The previous instructions were soooo vague, as to what to do, they were unhelpful for someone who doesn't work with this program everyday. Telling someone, "Your canvas will need to be large enough to accomodate both images side-by-side", does nothing, except point out the obvious. Closing a post because it's "too old" does nothing but deny people the benefit of help that's already been posted.

Sorry the instructions I gave you previously were unhelpful. I had to guess your level of understanding and I missed the mark this time.

I did point out that you should start a new thread if you needed more help. Which you have, and Sarkut has done a marvelous job in explaining things in more detail. You can always press F1 in PDN to open the online help files where many of these techniques and details are explained. Also, http://searchpaint.net/ is your around here friend and is very useful.

As to closing the old thread: We do this to keep things current. PDN, techniques, tools & plugins all change and evolve. To ensure you're getting the latest info we consider old threads deceased. Adding to them is less than helpful on many occasions. In starting a new thread you got Sarkut's expert advice, personalized for your problem. See how this "rule" keeps things current?

Sarkut did help me tremendously. Therefore there was no reason for this explanation. But since you insist, please allow me to explain my feelings on the matter as well.

My "level of understanding" might have been more evident by at least noticing the # of posts I've made, or by digging further, and looking into the posts I've made. I've made some of the dumbest mistakes, and am admittedly one of the biggest Newbs this site probably has on it. My computer skills, however are higher than that. I just need to learn this wonderful new toy you all have created for us.

As noted in the previous, now closed topic, I explained that I did look into the help topics, and researched this as best I could with the tools available. I feel that many of the topics closed, shouldn't be for the simple fact that, even though, and thankfully, PDN is ever changing, and improving, "old" knowledge and tips don't die. And they may in fact be a treasure trove of information for someone.

In any forum I've ever visited regarding these enjoyable, yet sometimes frustrating little boxes we play on, not on one of them do the owners void, or close a thread because the topic becomes outdated. In fact THIS one is nothing more than a re-creation of the previous one that I posted on. Which by the way, I found by performing a search on THIS site. In that search, where I obviously was looking for this topic, I found it by entering the query for "side by side pics". My answer that I found was on the SECOND page. The previous entries had either nothing, or next to nothing to do with the actual using of the product to the end I was searching for. Hmmmmm.....

To end, if one reads Sarkuts very helpful advice, it is clearly noted that he was attempting to respond to MY post, when in fact at that time, it was closed. He therefore WAS going to help me, wherever I posted, in an old post or new. I am just thankful that this is an option, to what is clearly, a great tool! Thank You to all!

I've made. I've made some of the dumbest mistakes, and am admittedly one of the biggest Newbs this site probably has on it.

I am pretty sure I am still the leader on that one.

I often laugh at myself when I look back at my posts. (but I learned much).

P.S. I did however just find out that when I "move" the pic, a "finish pixels" step performs, and then all of my editing choices are ended. It's as though the pic has been saved, and is complete. Any thoughts on this aspect would be appreciated.

1. I use a different layer for each pic

2. If you need to move it/rotate it/resize it.

Just go to that layer (you may have to uncheck any layers above if they are blocking your view)

anyways...using the pdn35icons.RectangleSelectToolIcon.png tool. put it around the image you want to monkey with (make sure you are on the correct layer) Ctrl X then Ctrl V. You will now have the flexibility to rotate shrink, expand, move.

martelshiney300-1.pngbleeping12.png