A better way to smooth out edges?

JuicyFlawless

I have been trying to make backgrounds and sigs but unfortunately all the pictures that I remove backgrounds on become very rough around the edges. Soften portrait works a little but it's not good enough and feathering and duplicating doesn't really seem to get me anywhere. Is there a better way to do this?

I have been trying to make backgrounds and sigs but unfortunately all the pictures that I remove backgrounds on become very rough around the edges. Soften portrait works a little but it's not good enough and feathering and duplicating doesn't really seem to get me anywhere. Is there a better way to do this?

I use 4 x bigger image than I want the end result to be. Feathering for me doesn't work to well either (error between chair & keyboard) so I usually Gaussian Blur @ 2.

This system works well for me but it takes forever to do anything since my RAM is smallish & have a shared graphics card. Be sure to save often coz it does crash occassionally but has been better with the latest versions.

I read somewhere that Smart Blur & one of the others (bad memory but it was in relation to what you're asking - try a search?, it was within the last month)

Hope this helps...

Just remembered! - Alpha Masking - that might be really good too - there's some great tutes on this too.

• Like 1
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

@barbieq, it's Smart Blur and Surface Blur. Also, try Noise > Median at a low radius.

Clever little cookie! Thanks!

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

• 12 years later...

I know this is like super old, but what I have done in past is duplicate the rough-edged layer and on the duplicated below layer blur it by like 1 or 2 pixels. This should make it look slightly better. You can then duplicate the blurred layer as many times as desired to achieve the result you are after. Then of course merge all the duplicated layers together.

• Rick Brewster locked this topic